FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Everyone, looking for a good video camera for music video making (under $400)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yohan henry
Hey Everyone, looking for a good video camera for music video making (under $400)
on Nov 7, 2014 at 6:31:40 pm

Hey Everyone, I'm looking for a good video camera under us$400.

I'm looking for something with 24p, manual controls & a fast aperture for depth of field... I currently use a panasonic lx7, which is awesome, but I only get 30p, & also a bigger sensor would help my Depth of field for that movie look.

I've heard of the panasonic lx100, but price-wise its a bit above my budget for now... I've also been considering the canon T1i dslr.. Any Ideas & Guidance would be greatly appreciated!! thanks

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Hey Everyone, looking for a good video camera for music video making (under $400)
on Nov 8, 2014 at 12:05:11 am

What is the film look?

It's a couple of things.

1. dynamic range.
2. shutter.

Unless you're going to spend huge money, forget about getting film's dynamic range.

The shutter is what causes confusion. For example, film cameras can shoot 30 fps, no problem, and it will look like film. The reason has to do with a misunderstood gadget that is not available on video cameras: the shutter angle. Usually a film camera uses a 180-degree shutter angle. The shutter speed is calculated as frame rate * shutter angle. 1/24 * 180/360 = 1/48. The 180-degree shutter angle creates a motion blur that our eyes are used to seeing. It's that motion blur you'll need to get in your motion photography to make it look more filmic. That means you'll need to shoot your 30p with a 1/60 shutter. Give it a try and see what happens. If that is too slow of a shutter speed, you will need to spend your $400 on neutral density filters, polarizers, and other photography stuff, so the shutter speed can stay at 1/30 * 1/2 = 1/60. Do not speed up the shutter. You'll be tempted to do that on bright days because at 1/60 shutter bright sunlight will be too bright. And that's when you'll need the ND filter -- bright days. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]