FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen/Green suit shoot

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
Green Screen/Green suit shoot
on Oct 27, 2014 at 3:48:28 pm

Hi all!

I'm posting this in a couple of relevant forums, since this is a question that could be answered from both a production and post production point of view. :)

I've done a fair bit of green screen shooting in the past, but in a few weeks I'm going to be trying something new, at least new to me.

I'm going to be shooting an actor wearing a green suit. Not to get into too many unecessary details but the actor will be interacting with objects and other actors. Sort of an invisible man kind of effect. Example: lifting a mug from the table in front of an actor.

So my plan is to shoot a clean background plate of the set (or in some cases shoot the other actors with the background set) then shoot our "green man" on the set doing his actions. Then key out the green suit in post.

What I'm wondering is whether it'd be easier/cleaner to shoot the "green man" against a green screen. I was thinking that if the objects and actors he's interacting with are actually on set the effect will look more realistic when composited. Rather than trying to make them appear to be in the scene, they ARE in the scene.

But then again, lighting will be very important and it might be hard to light a scene on set that will also give me clean keys on the "green man".

Any thoughts on the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Green Screen/Green suit shoot
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:01:14 pm

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/47/861151

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:07:53 pm

What he said, but be sure to do a couple acceptable scenes without the prop, where the actors just mime it all, before you bring in Kermit in spandex to fly your Coffee cup. Once you commit to doing much roto work, the green suit becomes superfluous and it becomes about the tinier area around the individual prop. Might not need s full Kermit suit but only a long glove on one arm.

Shoot a couple stills of the set with a DSLR for backup and continuity purposes, too.

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Oct 27, 2014 at 4:15:01 pm

Good point. More and more I'm thinking that I need to a test shoot with at least some roughed in lighting, just to see what I'm getting into.

Return to posts index

Jorge Carreon
on Oct 28, 2014 at 8:45:46 pm

Is the camera going to be fixed in position or moving? If it's going to be moving then it'll be better to shoot the "green man" against the green screen (background), but by green screen I'm really using the term Chroma. Now in this particular case, I would suggest using two different Chromas, either have a blue man suit with a green screen or a green man with a blue screen. In both escenarios you would also need to think about the actors wardrobe as to avoid having problem keying the man and the background, your Chromas.

If they are really good actors it would be advisable to shoot the actors and set and then shoot the green man moving the objects. You have to be careful, still, about coordinating actors, actions and green man. Also be aware of the spatial limitations of the actions, i.e. the camera angle, the position ob the objects relative to this angle and the position of lights and actors in reference to the aforementioned.

iMac 27 inch (Late 2011) • 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5 • 16 GB RAM • 1 TB HD • ATI Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB • OSX Yosemite • Adobe Creative Cloud 2014 • Maya 2014

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 29, 2014 at 3:49:43 am

Here's your practice video, already done for you:

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 29, 2014 at 6:05:16 am

Great video... I'm a big fan of OK Go!.

I was lovin' them even before the famous first "treadmills" video for "Here it Goes Again"... which, despite their videos getting increasing more complicated and "clever" through the years, remains my favorite OK Go! video (and probably favorite song of theirs as well).

Obviously they want you to see the suited guys in this video, but it's a darn cool effect.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]