FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting with Mixed Frame Rates/Shutter Speeds?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins
Shooting with Mixed Frame Rates/Shutter Speeds?
on Oct 20, 2014 at 12:46:41 pm

Hi there,

I recently shot the first part of a corporate shoot at 24p/60s and due to problems with the footage we now need to shoot the second part at 25p/50s.

The project is a series of 10 interviews - we shot 5 on day one and will shoot 5 more on the second shoot. The client specified that they all be shot in the same style.

Will the disparity between 24p/60s and 25p/50s be noticeable? And if so is there anything that can be done in post to rectify it?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

grinner hester
Re: Shooting with Mixed Frame Rates/Shutter Speeds?
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:02:28 pm

Yes they will look different and yes there are things you can do about that.
Lay out your timeline. Whichever one you used the most (or the look you prefer) just mimmick it with effects on the other footage. If you see a stop difference between the two apply a fix to compensate. You'll be grading everything anyway, I assume. What you will probably see most in difference though is the playback itself. The 24p vs 25p. THere are several ways to attack this. Me? I'd try a simple fit to fill on it all, re=rendering it's playback to fit the timeline's settings. I don't know what you are editing in so this may vary. It may be as easy as reducing flicker, changing the field order, ect.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 20, 2014 at 2:29:25 pm

By far the best "look" will come from actually playing the footage at whatever frame rate you want the "master" project to be.

This is easily done in Premiere, I assume it is just as easy in FCP or Avid.

What I mean by that is, lets say you desire your master to be 24p... Then use a 24p project/timeline. Your 24p footage will go right on that timeline, easy breezy. Now you could just lay your 25p footage on that same timeline as well. It would play, but you might see some artifacts due to the different frame rates. So... what you want to do is re-interpret that footage so that it is playing at 24fps (actually 23.976fps) instead of 25fps (in Premiere you'd do that by selecting a clip and going MODIFY >> INTERPRET FOOTAGE >> USE THIS FRAME RATE >> and inputting 23.976).

If you want your master to be 25p (are you PAL), you'd do the opposite... a 25p timeline and reinterpret your 24p footage to 25fps.

This will give you absolutely PERFECT frame-for-frame images...absolutely no chance of flicker or any artifacts, and (depending on your machine) this would likely be realtime with no rendering needed.

Now, you might say "But my footage is playing back at the wrong speed." True. You'd be slowing down your 25fps footage to fit a 24p timeline. Or speeding up your 24p footage to fit a 25p timeline. But the amount is miniscule... only 4%. No one would ever notice it. In fact, this used to be done all the time, in the days before 24p cameras were readily available, to get that 24p look. People would sometimes shoot PAL cameras (to get the 25fps instead of 30fps) and play it back at 24fps instead of 25fps. Several feature films were done this way, in the days before digital acquisition (and 24p shooting) was the norm.

Depending on your editing platform, that might slightly affect the pitch of your audio, but that is easily corrected.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Terry Nutkins
on Oct 23, 2014 at 11:48:05 pm

Thanks very much for the advice everyone!

Return to posts index

junaid ahmed
on Oct 21, 2014 at 6:56:27 pm

i have a olumpus vh 520 camera ....i was recorded 240 fps and camera save playback 30 fps......i want to know how convert playback 30 fps to original frame rate 240 fps... please help !!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]