FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Release for Shoulder Mount and Tripod

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tatjana Hamilton
Quick Release for Shoulder Mount and Tripod
on Sep 16, 2014 at 4:56:11 am

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any universal quick release plates that can easily be put on a shoulder mount and tripod (without having to take the plate off for each product)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Quick Release for Shoulder Mount and Tripod
on Sep 16, 2014 at 5:16:23 am

Sadly, not really. Tripod release plates are fairly proprietary... of the half-dozen or so brands of tripods that I personally own, not a single one of them shares the exact same plate. Some even within the same brand don't use the same plate... depending on the model and vintage.

So, unfortunately there really is no such thing as a "universal" mounting plate.

Best you can do is buy a shoulder-mount that already uses the same release plate as your head (which would likely mean it is the same brand). Or you can rig your head and shoulder mount so that they take the same after-market mount (they would be the same and thus interchangeable... although not "universal" as requested). It would likely be a lot more work to change the plate-mount on your head than it would the one on your shoulder mount. Depending on the model, parts might be available to do that... or your might have to get another head (maybe a good-for-parts-only one from eBay, etc.) to cannibalize for parts.

You can do the reverse and change the head plate for one that matches your shoulder mount, though... although as I said depending on what head you have it might not be easy. We primarily use Oconnor heads and I have a lightweight Manfrotto head that I've adapted the receiver so it will accept the Oconnor plates, for exactly the same reason you mentioned (so I don't have to remove the plates from cameras). But as I said, it was a fair bit of work and took some engineering and machine-shop work... not to mention several hundred bucks worth of parts.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Tatjana Hamilton
on Sep 16, 2014 at 9:21:39 am

Oh gosh,

This is so annoying...someone should invent on because it would be extremely handy.

Thanks for your reply though!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 16, 2014 at 2:04:28 pm

Well, for a while, they sorta had, with a design made by Sony for betacam camcorders, and copied by Panasonic and maybe a few others. There's been such a proliferation of cameras and mounts since then, all trying to avoid paying the royalties to incorporate the Sony plate design, that you're now in the situation you face.

Return to posts index

Lynn Weissman
on Sep 16, 2014 at 3:47:44 pm

On my Sachter DV6 (mounted on its tripod plate), shoulder rig, and monopod, I mount the Manfrotto 577 = RC5 Quick Release (QR) System
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/241139-REG/Manfrotto_577_577_Rapid_Co...

The 577 plates also match with some Manfrotto tripod models s(501s, 503s, 519), so no QR adapter need for those.

I use the 501PL plate (that comes with the 577 QR system) on my cameras.

Also, I just ordered this 9" Smallrig 11460 QR plate (longer than the 5.5-inch 501PLong), which is supposed to fit with the 577 adapter (we'll see): http://smallrig.com/camera-support-plates/manfrotto-plates/quick-dovetail-1...

Hope this is helpful.

Lynn Weissman
Weisswoman Productions
https://vimeo.com/weisswomanprodns
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, with EF USM L-series lenses: 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50 mm. Sony PMW-200, Sony Z7U, Sony Z1Us, Mac iMac (Model iMac12,2, 3.1 GHz, Memory: 20 GB), Final Cut 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Lynn Weissman
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:09:19 pm

Just a follow-up on the Manfrotto Standard Quick Dovetail 1460 tripod plate: http://smallrig.com/camera-support-plates/manfrotto-plates/quick-dovetail-1...

PROS: This longer tripod plate fits my Manfrotto 577 Quick Release system.

CONS: 1) There is piece on the bottom of this Manfrotto Standard Quick Dovetail 1460 tripod plate, in the middle, that limits the front-to-back movement of this plate -- thus limiting the purposes for which I bought it -- to have a longer plate with much front-to-back movement for balancing my camera while on my tripod. You can move the screw to each of the 3 sections on the bottom of the plate, though this is kind of a pain.

2) Manfrotto should use a smaller 1/4" screw head with the D-ring for this item. My Manfrotto Standard Quick Dovetail 1460 tripod plate came with a 1/4" screw that had a large head with a D-ring -- it was too big to turn! So I replaced that screw with an extra 1/4" screw from my 577 Quick Release system. Note: The D-ring on the 1/4" screw is _not_ shown in the 3rd photo of this item.

Thanks!

Lynn Weissman
Weisswoman Productions
https://vimeo.com/weisswomanprodns
Canon EOS 5D Mark III, with EF USM L-series lenses: 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50 mm. Sony PMW-200, Sony Z7U, Sony Z1Us, Mac iMac (Model iMac12,2, 3.1 GHz, Memory: 20 GB), Final Cut 7.0.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]