FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buying a new camera ...4k

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
sumesh senan
Buying a new camera ...4k
on Aug 30, 2014 at 8:13:20 pm

Hello folks
I have been shooting with a 5D Mark 2 for many years and while it works well for day shots its terrible for any night footage. Rather than ugrading to a 5dmark3 i was thinking of investing in a sony handycam 4k or anything similar within a budget of about 5000 - 6000 usd

Black magic reviews are good but i am told it;s grainy for night footage or low light conditions...Any suggestions are welcome

The key elements i am looking for
4k / higher fps for slow motion / can shoot good footage day and night

thanks
sumesh

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Buying a new camera ...4k
on Aug 31, 2014 at 6:53:00 pm

Lighting plays a very important roll in night shooting-- as in you have to light it properly. Unless you are gathering news and using an on camera light for an interview, you have to light night exteriors.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

For Camera Accessories - Monitors and Batteries

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Sep 1, 2014 at 5:59:01 am

Hi Warren
thank you for the reply...yes..i agree lighting is crucial...
i intend also shooting some outdoor documentaries in coming days and there could be shots at sunset etc.... I simply love the film look a RED EPIC or the C500 produces....But dont have the budget for it right now...hence looking at something like a camcorder 4k sony/ panasonic which can also do live relay....
thanks
sumesh

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Sep 6, 2014 at 5:34:19 pm

thank you...impressive and looks like canon and nikon have lots of work to do in the video segment :)
i am so much in love with the FS700 because of the slow motion and with the metabones adaptor i can just use all my canon lenses for some incredible footage..i dont think it features a global shutter...but i saw some pan and tilt footage and the jello effect seemed minimal..do throw some light if you know anything on it ...thanks again

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Aug 31, 2014 at 10:38:31 pm

Hi sumesh - if you want a 4K capable camera that can pretty much see in the dark, you may want to consider the $2498 Sony A7s. It records 4K externally through its micro HDMI port, so you'll need the forthcoming $1995 Atomos Shogun External Recorder for 4K.

This camera records 1080/60p and 720/120p for slow motion.

Here is what it can do in low light:

The A7s is the best low light camera in your price range.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Sep 1, 2014 at 7:23:29 am

Hi Bill

Thank you for the feedback...appreciate
I was reading the specs in length...i have a series of Canon L series lenses which i would like to further use...even if i use a canon mount on Sony i need to invest further in IRIS control( which is not the case with NIKON lenses surprisingly)

Also the issue of global shutter which is missing in the model. I am craving to get rid of that issue .....The footage looks a lot better .....I know its asking too much for 2500 usd...i am willing to invest a little more

Plus i need to do live relay .... so i am more keen on a full fledged video system than a hybrid... i welcome your feedback or suggestions
many thanks
sumesh

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Sep 1, 2014 at 1:44:46 pm

Sadly, if you want a global shutter to get rid of jello, your only choice below the $29,000 Sony F55 is the $2495 (on sale) Blackmagic Production Camera 4K.

This camera has an EF mount, so you can use your current lenses.

It is not the best low light camera in the world, but you'll have to decided which feature is most important to you - while staying within your budget.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Sep 2, 2014 at 7:48:47 pm

They just announced Sony pxw x70 Hd with future 4k upgrade. A XD cam.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Sep 2, 2014 at 9:27:38 pm

The specs on that Sony X70 are stunning! I generally much prefer Panasonic and Canon, but in that price range ($2,300) it looks like for the moment Sony has the leading, bleeding edge. That said, I don't see any mention of image stabilization, which is surprising. Maybe too new for full details.

For Sumesh, probably not a good choice since he wants to also shoot stills.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
MFA/BFA Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Sep 2, 2014 at 10:40:43 pm

No problem... He I didn't mention still in his link.

The key elements i am looking for
4k / higher fps for slow motion / can shoot good footage day and night

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Sep 2, 2014 at 10:52:51 pm

Jonathan, you are right. I must have mixed his post up with another. He makes no mention anywhere about shooting stills.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Sep 2, 2014 at 11:08:53 pm

No problem. ..

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:50:41 pm

Hello Jonathan
YES...Thanks for your recommendation
you are right...i am more keen on acquiring a video camera than a hybrid one...what i meant is i wanted to narrow down on a system where i can use my existing L Canon lenses rather han investing in new glass.. the SONY Camcorder looks good but small :)
Been reading about it and although i am yet to make sense of codecs and bitrate it does look packed with some new stuff and a future upgrade
thanks very much
sumesh

Return to posts index

sumesh senan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:45:44 pm

Hello Rick
Thank you for the details.
i have been reading extensively on this camera since you wrote and yes...it looks good for the price.....i was looking for a camera which can shoot stand alone video ....but since i have already invested in a series of L canon lenses was looking at a system where i can put them to use.....but the lens quality and zoom on the sony (although not interchangeable) looks okay for my production purposes..

I am not used to the camcorders yet so i must figure about the codecs and the bitrates etc...but i just have a couple of questions more

1...The jello effect ..will it be still there in a camcorder like the sony...if yes...are there any camcorders which has a solution for this problem ( even at a higher pricepoint)

2. on the sony ND Filters are primarily there to help with the dof...but will it give me the same film like feel

Thanks again for your advise
sumesh

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Sep 3, 2014 at 7:04:13 pm

I don't know how this camera will handle pans and tilts. The ND filters will help you to force the iris more open. "Film like" remains to be seen. It's not out yet. I think once it is, if your order one from B&H you can try it out for a few days and return it if you don't like what you get. Of course, the camera has to be in pristine shape and repackaged the way it came to you.

Alternatively, rent one, but rentals for the Sony won't be around for a while yet.

Nothing beats hands-on and experimenting.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Jonathan Thomas
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:16:19 pm

By the way. I have Sony A 7s. So far I'm filming and using HD format right now. The look in HD is incredible. I got the camera the first week it came out. Yes, indeed it kills Canon 5D 3 in sharpness and price.

As far as film look. I'd create that in post. The OLED EVF is really critical on making sure you are in focus.

Because when you start filming in 4k. You will notice the different. My associate have 7D and 5D focus is a problem with both cameras.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]