FORUMS: list search recent posts

blue screens

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sheree Day
blue screens
on Aug 29, 2014 at 7:40:27 am

Hi

Wasn't too sure where to post this question in the forums.

I am looking to get a blue screen (already have a green chromakey screen but when you put you put green items on it...you know what happens in Keylight in AE).

I was told by a supplier that blue chromakey screens are being phased out / or replaced by something called digiblue or digicom. So I thought I'd come to this forum where there are experts for advice.

Does anyone know the difference? And if one is better than the other?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: blue screens
on Aug 30, 2014 at 5:26:53 am

Digi-COMP, I think it's called.

You can key any color, and I have keyed shades of blue from cerulean to aquamarine to teal...azure to indigo, periwinkle to ultramarine. From $150 a gallon Rosco paint to $20 a gallon flat latex from Ace Hardware, to $2 plastic table cloth covers from a dollar store...as long as you first used a good, white primer coat underneath, and the blue is flat, non-reflective, well-saturated for chroma, and VERY evenly exposed, ...it is going to work.

The advantage of using the Rosco products is that their ancillary products like the masking tape, already match the paint. You can simulate this by keeping extra amounts of mixed paint around to apply to regular paper masking tape and other props, like sticks and rods and cubes, if needed... but that IS more work and time. You always pay more for accuracy and convenience/ speed.

Myself, I would use Kilz brand water based white flat latex primer and Ace hardware blue paint mixed to a sample chip. With the money saved, buy an extra gallon to reserve for painting future props or touching - up a spot on a floor or wall. Paint a few dowel rods and flat sticks right away and keep them stored behind the wall... these are handy for mounting small products or props and reducing the need for root or mask clean-up in post. You can also do simple live puppeteering or "animation" of a prop like a rocket ship model, or helicopter model or a smartphone this way.

Return to posts index

Sheree Day
on Aug 30, 2014 at 7:23:37 am

HI Mark

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I can't use paint; not my place (don't have a studio) and it needs to be mobile, thus I have to use cloth.

So it's either Digicomp or chromakey...which do you reckon is best of these two? Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 30, 2014 at 3:46:49 pm

I would get my cloth from Rosebrand in New York, as my first choice:

http://www.rosebrand.com/shop/results.aspx?keywords=chroma+key

If you notice the width on some of those, like the poly muslin, that's a great size of seamless material, at a good price, and it's fire resistant as well. Rentable, too, you can try before you commit. RoseBrand used to send out sample cards with swatches of the material, for 2 bucks. You might contact them to see if that's still the case, and get a sample of chromakey cloths.

I find that, even better than cloth, if you want a durable keying cove, is to paint sheet vinyl and hang that to form a nice continuous curve from a wall onto the floor.

How I would do it is to but very cheap kitchen/bathroom vinyl flooring on sale - the color or pattern on the top doesn't matter, as long as the backing side is flat. This "felt" side, you paint with Kilz latex primer (NOT Oil-based!), and then your chroma blue or green paint over that. Sandwich one end between a pair of boards with screws, then hang that from light stands or wall or ceiling hooks. Very durable, you can clean it with soap and water, shoes and furniture won't hurt it or tear it. So you can get nice full-body shots on it. The downside of the vinyl is that it is heavy and awkward to transport, so if you want to be mobile, fabric or paper rolls works better.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]