FORUMS: list search recent posts

time lapse camera mount

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen knifton
time lapse camera mount
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:23:12 am

hi all ... i need to mount a relatively light timelapse camera in housing on the top of a long pole over a construction site, straight up and down, flagpole style ... i probably have to go up 25 or 30 feet. the cam and housing is only 3 lbs or so ..

i've got lots of clamps etc to secure the cam to the pole, and to secure the pole at the base.

my question: any suggestions on the type of material or product or pipe or extrusion that i could use for my pole ? it's near a great lake, with some inevitable wind, so i want the best combo of rigidity, and (lack of) weight.

any ideas, and thank you in advance ...

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: time lapse camera mount
on Jul 30, 2014 at 1:58:27 pm

do a search for "hitch mounted camera pole"

here's one http://floatograph.com/telescoping-masts/index.php

How long does it need to be in place? You may want to buy a utility pole (telephone pole) & have the contractor install it.

Or buy/rent one of these babies
http://www.skywaysecurity.com/netv-msu-4128-emg-camera-and-light-tower-trai...

Or you could write a script that automatically sends your drone out at scheduled times and then returns back to home base. :)

Steve

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: time lapse camera mount
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:28:33 pm

PVC pipe that length will sway unless you put wood strips inside it and tie it down with guy wires. I would try three lengths of EMT conduit, strapped together every 3 or 4 feet, the whole thing anchored to a cement block. All three tubes need not reach up to the very top: the top third only needs one tube, the second tube stops at the halfway point... look at the Sears Tower (AKA Willis Tower) for inspiration.

That arrangement would be pretty stiff but may still need guy wires depending on wind at the site. Another way to go is to scan craigslist for anybody wanting to have their old TV antenna tower removed... you could also ask around the local HAM radio groups and probably score a loaner mast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]