FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera recommendations needed

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Argentine
Camera recommendations needed
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:27:01 pm
Last Edited By Per Argentine on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:28:43 pm

So we recently sold off our workhorse Panasonic 3700. The new Varicams look great but we can't justify the cost anymore. Our projects are a mixture of different types of documentaries, some that are shot cinema-style and others that shot handheld, from natural history to contemporary stories to history/reenactment. Our DP has a RED so we plan on using that for our bigger budget projects, but I'd like to have a flexible camera in-house for our smaller projects and those that need something that's more run-and-gun. I've been going through all our options and have narrowed things down to a wish list:

-HFR
-Able to be configured for ENG-style shooting with (relatively) no fuss
-Camera, lens, and needed accessories are ideally under 20k
-Non-propriety recording media preferred
-available now

The AJA CION is looking good but not available until "later this summer". We have a quick shoot coming up in July & a 2-week natural history shoot in September. The Sony FS700 seems like the ideal choice at present, with something like the Zacuta shooter kit to shoulder mount it.

Any thoughts/advice/stories from the field?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: Camera recommendations needed
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:40:52 pm

[Per Argentine] "Sony FS700 seems like the ideal choice at present, with something like the Zacuta shooter kit to shoulder mount it."

Is it really going to be "ENG-style" with the Odyssey 7Q hanging off of it, or were you planning to go 4K for on a strickly Sony route?

Return to posts index

Per Scaffidi
Re: Camera recommendations needed
on Jun 3, 2014 at 9:24:23 pm

Thanks -- that was going to be my next question. The Odyssey + media seems to much more friendly to the pocketbook. But yes it's another thing to throw on somewhere.

Seems there's always a compromise...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]