FORUMS: list search recent posts

advice on which camera needed!

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
philipp hahn
advice on which camera needed!
on May 21, 2014 at 11:53:39 am

hi,
i'm desperately trying to find a camera for an art installation and it seems to be impossible to find an affordable model suitable for my needs.
can anyone point me to anything?

my (rather specific) requirements are:
- output of clean 720p50 over hdmi, hd-sdi or analogue yuv. 1080i50 is not perfect but would work as well (using a hardware video scaler converting that to 720p50).

- wide angle: about 80-90° horizontal field of view.

- full manual controls. i need to be able to lock everything related to gain/exposure/shutter/whitebalance/focus etc.

- has to be able to get power via cable (not only batteries) and needs to keep its settings when switched off/on.

- cheap: ideally it should cost around 500 € or less.

my first idea was cctv-cameras but at least the onces i tested so far always have some auto-gain feature working in the background even if i switch everything off in the menu.
my second route was to look at sony colour block cameras eg. fcb-se600 - which comes close but only feature 60° fov when in 720p-mode.
now i'm wondering maybe just some cheap consumer camera could do the job as well?
or some other device i might net even heard of?

i'm really getting desperate about this... any help would be hugely appreciated!
thanks!!!
p

Return to posts index

Ben Hilton
Re: advice on which camera needed!
on May 21, 2014 at 11:34:20 pm

A Sony Nex 5N is a good choice, you can pick one up used on Ebay for under $400 with a good lens. I have one, and it shoots beautiful video, with full manual controls. The only major downside, is the bad internal mic, and no mic jack...but a zoom H1 is only $100 and should fit you needs well if you don't mind syncing in post.

Return to posts index

philipp hahn
on May 22, 2014 at 12:43:43 am

hi ben,
thank you for your input!
sound quality is not an issue, i do not need any sound at all.
i just looked up the specs which look good but if i understand correctly, the nex 5 n can't provide a clean hdmi output without all sorts of overlays: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3100865#forum-post-39902326
or can you positively confirm that it can?
apart, these lenses would actually be quite expensive: if i did the math correctly i would need about 9mm (non-fisheye) for 80-90° horizontal fov and the lenses i found matching this are all at least another 500 €...

any other ideas?
best

Return to posts index

Ben Hilton
on May 25, 2014 at 12:47:19 pm

I actually haven't used the HDMI out of my camera before, but I think you are right about the overlays. The Sony NEX VG-10 has the exact same sensor and specs as the NEX 5N, except the VG-10 has clean HDMI output. It is a bit more expensive, but has a few more video options. The lens mount is the same though.
Ben

Return to posts index

philipp hahn
on May 26, 2014 at 8:47:14 pm

hi ben, thanks again, good idea.
after some more research i think i will go with an industrial camera though...
http://www.theimagingsource.com/de_DE/products/cameras/gige-cmos-ccd-color/...
this one seems to come with directshow drivers for windows, that should (hopefully) work with my setup.
anyway: thanks for your help!!!
p

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]