FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blind Cinematographers

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel McClintock
Blind Cinematographers
on May 7, 2014 at 9:06:16 pm

I'm an instructor at a community college in Western Colorado. Every summer we conduct video production summer camps for middle school students.

This year we have a family who has a blind child interested in taking the video production camp. Script writing, storyboarding, sound and video editing are taken care of... however we are at a loss at how to teach the shooting of their production.

If anyone has any ideas, could they please respond to this post. It would be most appreciated.

-------------

"Sometimes Life Needs a Cmd-Z!"

Return to posts index

Paul Thomson
Re: Blind Cinematographers
on May 7, 2014 at 9:48:45 pm

Hi Daniel,

What a fascinating opportunity for everyone to think about our visual work in a different manner.

It is quite late here in the UK so I am at risk of rambling...

There are a few points that come to mind:

- can rules of composition be simplified and explained in such a way to allow direction? e.g could your student be coached so as to direct what they think should occupy the screen at a given moment?

- one way of simplifying script is to create 'beat sheets' which express key moments, movements, actions. Could similar visual beats be used to express emotions that the student wants to elicit?

- radio plays (and to some extent audiobooks) excel at inspiring imagery in my mind. Perhaps an audiobook could be used as a class exercise in story telling which all could enjoy. I have an amazing audiobook of Neuromancer in which I can see William Gibson's sky:

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

PM me if you'd like to brainstorm some more ideas!

All the best,

Paul

Steadicam, lights & camera
http://www.interactive-fiction.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]