FORUMS: list search recent posts

Favorite slider length? Some quick input appreciated...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
Favorite slider length? Some quick input appreciated...
on May 7, 2014 at 5:09:35 pm

Just seeking some opinions and conducting a little poll here...

Someone I know has developed a pretty innovative slider, which I have given them some input on. They are already on the market and have sold quite a few, but I've suggested some tweaks that I think will make it much more marketable.

My question to you pros is, what length of slider do you find most useful?

Two feet? Three feet? Four? Longer?

I personally tend to do very short dolly moves with a slider, but I might not be the norm. I said I would solicit some other pros' opinions.

Input MOST appreciated.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Favorite slider length? Some quick input appreciated...
on May 7, 2014 at 5:28:38 pm

Hi Todd,

I highly recommend a 5' length.

I have the 5' Mini Slider from "The Slider" which is considered by many in La the first and best Slider in the business. It doesn't come cheap, but mine is already paid for, as I use it almost every day!

Here's a link, although they only show the 3' version: http://www.theslider.com/index.html

Their units use "medical grade" ball bearings and are essentially CNC machined I-Beams.

One great trick is to use "painters sponges" at both ends of travel for brakes.

Cheers,

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 7, 2014 at 5:38:43 pm

Thanks John...

Yes I'm familiar with The Slider sliders. They are definitely the "big boys," although actually I haven't seen one in quite a long time... I'm sure plenty are still around though.

This vendor is making much smaller units, The Slider would easily ride a Panavision Millennium and a Worrall head... whereas this guy's are more for the DSLR and small-bodied user (such as my C300, maybe the Epic, probably not the Alexa)... and probably for shooters more likely to be solo in a hatchback rather than with a crew in a 2-ton grip truck. I probably should have outlined their scope and place on the food chain a bit more accurately.

I personally like short sliders... my most frequent slider moves are probably only a couple of feet or less (and we're very often in tight locations where a five-footer would be physically impossible... by quite a bit).

I'm trying to give them as much input as possible though... thanks for the opinion! Any others??

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on May 7, 2014 at 6:21:57 pm

HI Todd,

Just to clarify, the Mini Slide from The Slider, which comes in both 3' and 5' versions is a much smaller, lighter and more nimble version than the heavyweights you're referring to that previously were used with full sized film cameras. The minis are more appropriate for Alexa, Red, F5/55 and Canon 300/500 with zoom lenses, all of which can build out to a considerable size and weight with the gak that's normally attached.

JS

Return to posts index

Erik Anschicks
on May 11, 2014 at 2:05:33 pm

Hi Todd -

I like a 3 foot one, but that means 36" of actual camera travel, not the length of the unit itself. A 4' slider as advertised might be "only" 36" of travel, I've also seen some 5' sliders that have 48-51" of actual camera travel. That can be confusing for the uninitiated, and that's one thing I'd recommend that your friend/colleague make clear in their product descriptions.

I've found that 36" is usually more than enough for me. Like you, mine is usually for short moves (that's all many quick-cut happy editors will allow!). I usually hand-operate and anything longer can be awkward. On the rare occasion that I use a motion-control, I'm usually using it to go so slowly that it's only using a third or half the total length anyway. Expense is/was a factor too, and since you might only get a foot or 15" more of total travel, I didn't feel like that was enough to justify double or even triple the cost. If I wanted more, I'd go way more, to like a 6' unit or something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]