FORUMS: list search recent posts

PAL - SECAM formats

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sil Bia
PAL - SECAM formats
on Apr 24, 2014 at 8:58:05 pm

Hi Guys!
I am shooting with an old German Metz VHS-C PAL video camera; I am running out of tapes and I have found some new tapes VHS-C PAL SECAM. Do you think the format is somehow compatible with my VHS-C PAL?
Thanks
Sil

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: PAL - SECAM formats
on Apr 28, 2014 at 10:03:55 am

The difference between PAL and SECAM is the way the colour information is encoded in the composite signal. That's done by the camera, not the tape. If the tape is marked VHS-C PAL SECAM then it's fair to assume that it's suitable for recording in either PAL or SECAM, so it should be fine.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: PAL - SECAM formats
on Apr 28, 2014 at 2:29:10 pm

Andrew is right... as long as it hasn't been recorded on, the tape itself has no format... tape is tape is tape.

HOWEVER... it is conceivable that the shell itself has certain notches, tabs, knockouts, or holes that are used to communicate with the deck and might be different for NTSC and PAL versions. I don't know if that is true (and it may be that they are indeed identical), but it is possible. Certain minor shell indicators have been used for other info in the past.

I kinda DOUBT it and I suspect these tapes would work fine. But still I think it would behoove you to get a few of them first and try them before you spring for a whole boatload of them.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]