FORUMS: list search recent posts

No ND filters on BM new 4K camera

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron darby
No ND filters on BM new 4K camera
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:56:51 am

I have been shooting for TV for a long time, always used ND filters.
The broadcast BM only shoots in HD, it has ND filters.
The ones that shoot in 4k do not have ND filters.
I want 4k with ND filters.
Is there a reason for this, please I lighten me.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: No ND filters on BM new 4K camera
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:25:39 pm

Probably assuming they are for studio use primarily, where the ND is generally not used, and that outdoor shooters will have matte boxes attached with filter holders.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:33:04 pm

Keep in mind that for virtually all "cinema" cameras, whether film or electronic, that built-in ND filters are not the norm, but rather the quite-rare exception.

It can be a handy thing, though. My C300 has three levels of built-in ND, and while that's a highly unusual feature, it is super convenient and one that I use every day.

I'd miss them greatly if they weren't there... although I still put ND filters in the matte box all the time, just not to the same degree or with as much frequency.

So to answer your question "What happened?".... nothing really happened, that camera is pretty much the "norm" and like most others. It's almost more appropriate to ask "What happened?" regarding a camera that does have built-in ND, as opposed to one that doesn't.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

ron darby
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:13:27 pm

Thanks guys. Will Im a little disappointed , I assumed most pro cameras had ND filters. I really depend on mine, I guess I 'll have to learn more about matt boxes and filters if I want to up grade my camera.

I do a lot of on the fly shooting, in and out of sun light usually hand held with much time for setting up the camera.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:33:41 pm

[ron darby] " I assumed most pro cameras had ND filters."

In the "broadcast camera" world some pro cameras have built-in ND filters, but in the real "cine camera" world virtually none of them do. Canon was really lauded when they first added built in ND to the C300 (and subsequently the C500 and C100) a couple of years ago, it was almost unheard of. I didn't know BM had followed suit with any of theirs, but it was a good move.

Barring built-in ND, the best and "right" way to do that is with a set of ND filters... I usually travel with four 4x4" square ND filters: a .3, a .6. and two at .9. Those in addition to my camera's built-in ND that usually gets me what I need in the right combination. I tend to like to shoot wide open (and my primes are all superspeeds at f/1.3) so I rely on ND a lot for exteriors, even with my ISO cranked down to the minimum (which on my camera is ISO 320).

But if you are runnin'-n-gunnin' you might not have a lot of time for swapping filters in your matte box. In that case you might consider a variable ND filter (which is essentially a set of sandwiched polarizers), that allow you to dial in exactly how much ND you want on the fly without changing filters.

One issue with them is that they are not cheap... typically in the $150-$500 range. Best way is to get 4x4 or 4x5.65" variable ND for a matte box... although that will be also the most expensive way (and requires you to have a matte box with at least two filter trays and one of them must be a rotatable stage). This really is the only way to go if you are using real cine primes (or cine zooms) since they typically don't have threaded fronts.

But if you are just using SLR lenses (or the rare real cine lenses that do have threaded fronts) you can use the circular screw-on variable ND filters of the appropriate size, which are much less expensive... in the lower end of that range.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]