FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about HDR

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pradeep Reddy
Question about HDR
on Apr 23, 2014 at 1:53:25 am

I am really interested in learning about HDR video After reading a few tutorials I now have a basic understanding of how HDR works. Can someone piont me to some good examples of HDR in video, and also tutorials.

Has anyone here worked on HDR video? What is the best setup to achieve professional results and also how expensive is it to shoot HDR video?

Are there any good short films or indie movies which used HDR ?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Question about HDR
on Apr 23, 2014 at 4:42:49 pm

HDR video barely exists, not real HDR video, anyway.

The closest thing I've seen to real HDR motion footage used a complicated rig with two cameras (I think they were 5Ds, although might have been REDs) conjoined with a complicated beam-splitter device to allow perfectly-aligned cameras each with exactly the same view, but shooting different exposures. Much like a 3D camera rig, but where both cameras had the view from one eyeball, rather than from two different eye positions. It worked to a degree... but the results were rather eerie and unsettling, if you ask me (especially footage of people).

Even then with that rig you are only getting two different exposures, as opposed to the 3-10+ different exposures needed for true HDR photography.

In theory you could shoot really high-latitude RAW images and manipulate the frames enough to simulate HDR photography in motion footage, but it would be very painstaking.

What you might be seeing these days that appears to be HDR motion footage is most likely not real HDR at all, but just really advanced manipulation and color grading that simulates something akin to that look. The Magic Bullet "Looks" plug-in would be a good place to start.

True honest-to-goodness real HDR photography is much more a still photography thing. I've yet to see any for motion footage that I'd put outside of the "experimental" world... at least at this point.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
Re: Question about HDR
on May 1, 2014 at 5:04:12 pm

[Todd Terry] "HDR video"

I have an idea though.

I plan to take modify my old Panasonic AG-HVX200, so the three chips turn into an HDR (black and white) signal. I haven't gotten very far, except to have purchased and started to read a book on cameras. I think I need to replace the color filters with ND filters.

Any thoughts?

Anyone?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]