FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which copter is recommended for 5D Mark3 ?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Soumendra Jena
Which copter is recommended for 5D Mark3 ?
on Apr 7, 2014 at 12:59:08 am

HI, we are planning to shoot some aerial POV for the weddings, so we are in the market to buy a drone copter.

We checked DJI Phantom2, but sadly, it cannot handle 5D Mark3.

So, which one is recommended ?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Which copter is recommended for 5D Mark3 ?
on Apr 7, 2014 at 4:32:10 am

I won't make a specific recommendation, but just note that the Phantom is a very lightweight quad copter, good for something more like a GoPro.

To fly something as heavy as your 5D you'll need a copter that's more in 10x the price range of the Phantom. I've only known a couple of people brave enough to fly a 5D... and those were with the really big (and expensive) octocopters... those in the $5,000-$20,000 range.

I'd think a safer route would be to get something like a BlackMagic Pocket Camera and dedicated it for aerial use. It's much lighter (and cheaper) than a 5D, so could fly on a much smaller (and cheaper) bird than the 5D would require. It'd still need a lot more than the Phantom, though.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 7, 2014 at 6:59:17 am

Yes you are correct!

Phantom 2 cannot handle DSLR of course.
Phantom has a more professional system called DS1000, which handles 5D Mark3 best, and it costs 6500$.

Can the Phantom 2 handle BlackMagic Cinema Pocket Camera ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 7, 2014 at 7:58:10 pm

Quadcopters, octocopters and hexacopters are NOT silent devices: they sound like lawn mowers or leaf blowers in flight, which could disrupt the wedding if they come anywhere close. They also don't have great endurance in the air, unless you are talking about really expensive systems. Stuff like the Phantom may only stay airborne for around fifteen minutes or so.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Apr 8, 2014 at 11:37:16 am

Hi Soumendra - at a minimum, you would need a $4000+ DJI S1000 and a $2999 Zenmuse Z15 gimbal to fly your 5D Mark III.

For a lighter camera, such as the GH3 or the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, you can get away with a ~$3000 DJI S800 plus a slightly less expensive Z15 gimbal for a lighter camera (such as this one for the Panasonic GH3).

Here's the GH3 over San Francisco on a DJI S800 (please watch at 1080p):

Here's the BMPCC over Tirolia (also on the S800):

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 8, 2014 at 11:41:10 am

Got it! Checking.

On the 2nd video it says,
Pilot: Florian Leitner
Gimbal operator: Eder Robert

Why there are 2 operators ?

Only one can operate both at once, right ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2014 at 12:14:12 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Apr 8, 2014 at 12:14:29 pm

One operator only operates and aims the camera. The other one concentrates on just piloting. That's for enhanced safety.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 8, 2014 at 12:20:52 pm

Im confused.

Sorry, I have never used a DJI or any kind of copter.

So, do we always need 2 users for this ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2014 at 2:55:39 pm

It would be wise. Or, you could have a lawyer on speed-dial.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 8, 2014 at 4:44:36 pm

Sorry, why ?

How are the two roles different ?

Is it both not done from one single remote ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:33:35 pm

Flying a quad copter around people, outdoors, is not as easy as you may think, and safety should be a primary concern. Therefore, the pilot's main responsibility is just controlling the copter, with an independent controller, and the camera operator's only job is getting the shot framed correctly. The remote for the camera is a separate unit, so that the camera can be aimed independently of whatever position the quadcopter has to take in the air, due to wind, sun, orientation,etc.

Less sophisticated quadcopters can have a fixed camera in them, so aiming the copter also aims the camera, but for dramatic photography, this arrangement is somewhat limiting.

Before you go very far, I suggest you get one of the smaller, quasi-toy-like quads, like the Parrot AI, and get a feel for how these operate in a low-stakes manner.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:35:16 pm

Im planing to get Phantom 2 only and use it with GoPro.

And I have seen on youtube, everyone does it alone.
isn't it ?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:38:15 pm

If you just have a fixed camera mount and are not using a remote pan/tilt gimble, then you don't need a second operator. In fact there'd be nothing for them to do... (unless you wanted them to stop/start the camera via the GoPro app).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 8, 2014 at 5:54:15 pm

I will be using Phantom 2 + Zenmus Gimbal H3-3D + GoPro 3.

So, can I do it myself ?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 8, 2014 at 6:58:21 pm

"So, can I do it myself?"

Absolutely.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:27:40 am

Ouch!
Man, im getting afraid of the purchase now!

:(

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Apr 9, 2014 at 4:17:28 am

Just as buying a camera doesn't make you an instant film maker, buying a drone doesn't make you a pilot. Like shooting well with the camera, piloting takes time to master. The difference is that a camera is less likely to jump out of your tripod in the middle of a ceremony and slice people's flesh.

If you really want to learn aerial camerawork, don't go buying a 6-thousand-dollar Hexacopter or whatever, right out of the gate. Go get a hobby-level version, in the hundred-dollar range, with a cheap camera in it, and go out and practice, practice, practice, first, in an open area away from people. Then with experience, you can decide if one person can handle piloting with FPV in perfect safety around a couple or a large crowd of people.

For safety, and to be sure you actually get the shot, I believe in using a 2-man system, where the camera is handled by a dedicated photog using FPV goggles, and safe positioning of the platform is handled by an un-distracted pilot.

Return to posts index

Soumendra Jena
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:12:12 am

Of course, everything needs practice!

And I will be trying it for few weeks, before I keep it to test for my clients events.

I just want to make sure, its not something which really fails or kills someone or just flies out without a track.

I can't afford to lose my GoPro or my money in the air.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]