FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fast paced effect

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philippe Gosselin
Fast paced effect
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:18:23 am

Hi all,

I am looking to achieve the sharp fast paced effect. What I mean by that is say a hand comes into the shot to grab a door handle it will do so at an almost accelerated speed but won't feel as though it was cheaply done in post through an editing suite.

Is it just a matter of cranking up the shutter speed to the highest?

Sorry I don't have a video example. Oh and I will shoot on RED

Thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Fast paced effect
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:09:08 am

[Philippe Gosselin] "...it will do so at an almost accelerated speed..."

At first blush sounds like just a speed ramp, applied in post. But that would be actual accelerated speed, not almost accelerated.

Have to admit I'm not quite sure what "almost" accelerated is (I would think that acceleration is something that either is or isn't). Can you post or link an example of what you are tying to replicate?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Philippe Gosselin
on Mar 25, 2014 at 2:34:10 am

Hi Todd,

This here is the first fight in Gladiator, past the 7 minute mark there are shots that are so sharp they feel to me as though they were accelerated somehow, look for a shot where snow starts to fall, everything then is super sharp and I can't help but feeling that it looks like it was shot in 15-20 fps.

Are my eyes deceiving me and it is all done in post or can I somehow get that effect right off the bat while shooting?

Thanks

ps, There is of course the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan that has tons of shots to which I am referring to, look into the first minute of this video and you'll see plenty of super sharp, slight faster than normal shots

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Mar 25, 2014 at 3:44:39 am

That look in those two movies is a function of the frame rate and shutter angle at which they were shot.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 25, 2014 at 4:39:29 am
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Mar 25, 2014 at 4:41:35 am

Yes Mark's right... that's mostly shutter speed (not to be confused with frame rate).

It's a little funny, your two selections, Private Ryan and Gladiator, happen to be the exact two films that I point people two when talking about narrow shutters (Ryan, which did it very very well... and Gladiator, not so much).

In short, a "normal" shutter is the equivalent of a 180° shutter in a film camera. That gives you a shutter speed of "one over twice the frame rate." Ergo, of you are shooting 24p, a "normal" shutter is 1/48th of a second. That shutter speed gives you the amount of motion blur in each frame that your brain needs to interpret a series of stills at 24 frames a second as smooth motion.

Now, if you crank the shutter speed up higher, eventually you'll get to the point where the frames are razor sharp (no motion blur). We call this "narrow shutter" because in a film camera this is actually done by mechanically narrowing the portion of the shutter disc that exposes the film. This gives you the staccato-looking motion that you see in Ryan and Gladiator. It's often used in an attempt to make action movies look more "action-y."

The look of a high shutter speed must be done when shooting... it's not an effect that can be done in post.

Long explanation for a simple thing... they're using a higher shutter speed.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Philippe Gosselin
on Mar 25, 2014 at 1:21:32 pm

Awesome! Thank you fellas.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 25, 2014 at 5:13:46 pm

Cool, just be very judicious with this effect. Much of the time you'll see it waaaaay overused.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]