FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many go-pros are needed to shoot a 360?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
How many go-pros are needed to shoot a 360?
on Mar 20, 2014 at 8:50:52 pm

I don't have the lens specs to look over, but was curious as to how many goPros you would need to array equidistant around in a circle, pointing outwards, to get a 360-degree capture, with only a very small overlap.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: How many go-pros are needed to shoot a 360?
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:10:29 pm

Answered my own question: either 4, or 1, using the hyperbolic type mirror.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How many go-pros are needed to shoot a 360?
on Mar 20, 2014 at 9:31:40 pm

If you just stack them in a cluster you don't need four, three should do.

I have two of them in front of me now and could almost get away with that. Field of view isn't quite 180°, but not a long way from it.

I had never used GoPros before until a shoot last week... I'd been holding out even trying until they made a 24p version (and why the heck did that take so long?). I have to say they were pretty fun, we had multiple Hero3+ Black ones.... although we did brick one of them trying to do a firmware update which led to an emergency trip hauling ass to Best Buy to get another.

I did find the look to be quite unpleasantly fisheyed, but if I added the Premiere filter "Lens Distortion" and turned the "Curvature" setting down to -28, then all lines were straight as an arrow.

If they would just give you manual shutter control via the GroPro app (or in any way), then you'd have something. I just can stand the strobby look of the high shutter speeds which crank up in sunlight.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]