FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green Screen or white background?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erfan Hashempour
Green Screen or white background?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:53:00 am

Hi guys,

So, I have to shoot an object that is going to be melted using hairdryers and heaters in the studio. My question is if it is better and more efficient to use just a white background and mask out the remaining objects (hairdryers, people that come and go out of the shot etc) or should I use green screen instead?

I'm hesitant to use green screen as I'm not sure if it would look authentic or natural, where as shooting on the white background will most probably make it more difficult to get rid of the unwanted objects in post-production.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Erfan

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: Green Screen or white background?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 3:17:10 am

The solution to either method is: nothing intrudes over/in-front-of the object itself. If you know how to shoot green screen, and the object is not reflective, then green screen is probably the easiest method.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Green Screen or white background?
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:45:23 pm

Well, it could depend on how good the lighting and the keying software are. If there is visible heat wave distortion in the air around the object being melted, or smoke and debris being given off, that might mess with the key and complicate things. Assuming you shoot a "plate" shot of just the white background first, your masking job becomes easier in post. Green screening it gives you more and easier options if you intend to composite the melt shot into something else later, but if that's not the plan for your footage, it may just be more unnecessary work.

I suppose you've already considered the ventilation and fire prevention aspects if doing this indoors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]