FORUMS: list search recent posts

Step down transformer recommendations?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Marshall
Step down transformer recommendations?
on Feb 26, 2014 at 10:56:43 pm
Last Edited By Seth Marshall on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:44:02 pm

I will be traveling to various countries in many continents and want to bring my Divas which are 120v only (sadly I didn't buy the universal model). I've never been in this situation and want to avoid any issues.

Countries include:
240V - 50Hz
230V - 50Hz
220V - 50Hz
220/230V - 50Hz
100V - 50/60Hz

Does anyone know any issues using a transformer to power Kinos?

And does anyone have any transformers they would recommend? thanks!

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Step down transformer recommendations?
on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:05:04 am

HI Seth,

The cheapest, easiest and most elegant solution is to simply wire up a pigtail that puts two US household connectors in series; when you plug in two 120 volt instruments (like your Divas) they "add up to 240 volts". Only when you turn the second unit "on" will the current flow through both of them.

I've used this many times in 220 countries. Believe me, carrying a transformer is the last thing you want to do.

JS

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Feb 27, 2014 at 1:00:28 am

Well, I certainly didn't think of this solution! (EDIT: I just realized this doesn't answer all my transformer needs. What about 100v, 230v, 240v.....)

Not having much electric experience i'd love it if you can point me in a direction so I don't screw this up! (I.e. More details for wiring. :).

Could I have a Diva light (220w) plugged in one end and an iphone charger the other (in the instance I only need one plug)?

I would also love to hear some first hand experience about why transformers are not ideal. One would assume they are the most common guaranteed solution!

You've come to my rescue before, thank you very much! (Btw, I'm bringing your lens, got anything else up for sale?)

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:37:26 am

[john sharaf] "The cheapest, easiest and most elegant solution is to simply wire up a pigtail that puts two US household connectors in series..."

I've always known that you could do that... but had never tried it myself or known anyone who actually did it that way.

Hats off to John for such an elegant and incredibly simple solution.

Just make SURE your pigtail is wired in a series, not parallel... and as John said remember you will always have to use both instruments, and both must be on (not just connected).

John's a smart man....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:45:41 am

HI Seth,

As I say, it works great. The problem with the transformer is that it's heavy and big, which are both problems for traveling, especially abroad where excess baggage is very expensive. And yes, any two 120 volt devices turned on in series work!

JS

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Feb 27, 2014 at 2:31:16 pm

Great!

Would I treat 220 and 230 just like 240 with this work around?

Anyone have advice or suggestions for 100v solutions?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Feb 27, 2014 at 3:45:27 pm

Yes, and this is the only workaround you need. Plus a second light in to the pigtail and aim off camera if necessary.

JS

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:10:42 pm

I'm not 100% sure of this, but I think you want the second device to draw the same as the Diva as the current will be the same through both. You phone charger might blow out if the Diva drew much more current than the charger. A second Diva or instrument of any kind with nearly the same wattage should work.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:50:37 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Feb 27, 2014 at 5:54:17 pm

I am 100% sure of that... you'd want both of your devices to have the same wattage/amperage, or very close to it.

That's why putting the two Divas in series would be ideal.

A Diva and a 110v 3w night light? Umm... not so much.

And if you don't make this pigtail yourself but have someone else make it for you, make sure sure SURE they know it is to be wired series not parallel. That's VERY important because something like that would normally almost invariably be wired parallel, not in a series... so their natural inclination would likely be to do it not the way you want (and in a way that would surely cost you some very expensive equipment).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:24:50 pm

Good advice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but with my limited experience in wiring I believe the check to make sure it's series would be if it lights up or not when one device is switched off. If one is off all will be off in series, but in parallel one would still be able to light up. Electric 101 I'm sure, but I never was a source of knowledge in this department.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:45:23 pm

Exactly right, Seth... forgive my very crude (but quick) drawing....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Seth Marshall
on Mar 2, 2014 at 11:46:33 pm

Very helpful, thank you. And, by the way, for crude that is an incredible drawing! Very good!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]