FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripods and stands

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Tripods and stands
on Feb 17, 2014 at 2:45:23 pm

Can anyone recommend a good, solid tripod for a Canon 5D, for no more than a few hundred dollars (one with a fluid head, that allows for good pans, tilts, etc, and that can handle possible future accessories like sliders)? Or a little more money if necessary. I'd also appreciate any recommendations on a microphone stand you can also use for lightweight lights like china balls? Last I just wanted to say I've always gone to B&H for a lot of these types of accessories. Are there cheaper online sources people like? Thanks a lot.

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
Re: Tripods and stands
on Feb 17, 2014 at 4:12:52 pm

Take a look at Libec. They are very good for the money.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Reels.html

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:16:22 pm
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:17:13 pm

Hi Neil - I use a $120 Ravelli AVTP Professional with a 75mm Bowl and Dual Handles. This is a great, robust tripod with a very smooth head that can handle anything you throw at it. I have owned mine for almost two years, and it has been in the back of my Jeep, in airline overhead luggage compartments and in my backpack - and came through with flying colors.

As for mic stands, I am a big fan of this $99.98 On Stage SB9600. And yes, you can use it for either lights or mics.

As for B&H, I shop there when their prices are lowest. Their price for the On Stage is the same as at Amazon, but they don't carry the Ravelli.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Paddy Uglow
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:34:01 pm

I had the idea of making a lightweight tripod into a heavyweight by adding a weight:

If you used some kind of canvas bag, you could find something heavy on-location, or fill something with water.
There are some decent oil-damped lightweight tripods around - I've actually seen one with a hook under the head, presumably for this purpose, so someone else must have thought of my idea too!

But one viewer added a bit too much, and broke their tripod :-(

If you're on a budget, you can search for separate heads and legs on the second hand market; then you can upgrade one or the other, or take the head off to use on rails or other mounts.

Paddy, CreativeMedia.org.uk

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:34:16 pm

Much appreciated Paddy, Bill and Warren, for that great feedback on tripods. I know all this feedback was geared toward helping me make a budget purchase, but since posting this I've had lots of people on other forums urging me not to cut corners on my tripod purchase, saying that I needed to spend more than $500 and even north of $1000 for a really professional one. Specifically I got the feedback below, and another person chimed in raving about the Vinten Vision Blue head:

'When I first started, I had a cheaper sub $500 tripod that was pretty decent, I think it was a LIbec. It worked fine and wasn't too large either. However, I really started to feel its limitations after a few years, and upgraded to a nicer tripod that cost around $1,200 I believe. I pieced my own head and legs together using Gitzo carbon fiber legs and a Vinten Vision Blue head. It's still pretty small, and I've been really impressed with the Vinten head considering it's pretty cheap (relatively speaking). It's a great fluid head for smaller cameras, in fact my camera rig is probably a bit too large for it and it still works great. There is a huge difference between the sub $500 category and above $1000 category. Once you go beyond $1000 you're really only paying for tripods that are capable of holding more weight and still function well.'

I would like a tripod, for example, that allowed me to add plenty of rigging with the camera, and be stable for challenging uses like time lapse. So I just wanted to check and see if anyone agrees or disagrees with the feedback above, and if you do are there any specific tripod models. People talk about Manfrottos a lot when I mention I'm not looking to break the bank, but still want t a professional product, but I have no idea which Manfrotto of all the choices out there is best. Any thoughts on the Vinten Vision blue head? Do you have to buy a Vinten Vision tripod to get that, or is that just a component that comes with tripods from vendors like Sachtler and Manfrotto?

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Feb 20, 2014 at 6:16:53 pm

Do you have to buy a Vinten Vision tripod to get that, or is that just a component that comes with tripods from vendors like Sachtler and Manfrotto?

Let your fingers do a bit of walking. If you go to BHPhotovideo.com and look up that item, you can find it as the head alone, or with sticks. As the poster said. He bought Gitzo carbon-fiber legs (obviously with the correct size bowl for the head.)

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
Lighting and Camera Instructor Academy of Art University
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]