FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Sony camera recommendations

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Davis
New Sony camera recommendations
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:25:59 pm

I'm looking for ideas for a new camera for my place of employment. We currently work with a Sony PMW350K, which records onto the SxS cards. For myself I might cast a wider net, but we want to get a smaller bodied camera that also records onto the SxS cards to maintain our work flow and avoid having to buy more hardware and software. So that means Sony.

We don't have any need for the camera to record in 4K at this point, or even 2K for that matter. HD is fine.

Can anyone recommend something that fits the bill?

I found it hard to navigate past what's "new and exciting" on Sony's site. And they also seem to be neglecting the site somewhat these days. Many of the cameras listed don't have full specs listed or even thumbnails of the units. :)

Anyway, any advice you can give will be of assistance.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: New Sony camera recommendations
on Jan 10, 2014 at 9:52:42 pm

Go to B&H. Click your way to digital video cameras. On the left side, select only Sony. Then order the selection by either low to high, or high to low. Find the cameras in your price range, and start drilling down. B&H usually has pretty good specs, though not always.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:03:41 am
Last Edited By Bill Bruner on Jan 18, 2014 at 11:06:31 am

Hi Matt - if you want a smaller camera that records to one SxS card slot, the single 1/3" sensor, $3300 Sony PMW-100 meets the requirement.

Slightly larger, but with higher image quality from its 3 1/2" EXMOR sensors, is the $6152 PMW-200 with dual SxS card slots.

This camera will come a lot closer to matching the image from your PMW-350K.

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:27:13 pm

Thank you Rick and Bill.

I was actually taking a serious look at the PMW-200 this week. So glad to hear I might be barking up the right tree.

Matt

Return to posts index

Matt Davis
on Jan 30, 2014 at 5:07:20 pm

We demoed the PMW-200 and we're going to go with it.

We did a pretty thorough examination of it, tried matching footage to our PMW-350, actually got a chance to bring it out on a shoot while we had it.

We were very pleased with. Few small things: It always seems to get a slightly different white balance than our larger camera. To be expected I supposed, but if the 350 got a value of 3200K then the 200 got 3400K.

The other thing is that it's default recording format was 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080. Which is not a big deal, but it was a tricky trek through the menus to find where to change that setting. Took me about 40 minutes and 6 google searches to finally sort it out.

That said, the footage looks great and we're quite excited to get our own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]