FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera choice for a comercial on national TV

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josefin Sandberg
Camera choice for a comercial on national TV
on Jan 7, 2014 at 9:58:44 am

I just started working on a new comercial. I work on a local TV station and usually we make low budget comercials. But now I'm going to create a comercial that will also go on national TV. Usually we film all the comercials with normal video cameras (same as we use for editorial content). It's a panasonic, similar to this one

But I know that for comercials it's best with a camera that can give the film more depht. Shorter focus depth. Do you think it's good enough to just use the cameras we have or should I rent a DSLR or even a better camera like Sony PMW-F55 or PMW-F5? With the last one I will get the best out of two worlds. Best out of video cameras and best out of DSLR. And also a really good quality.

The comercial is going to be 30 seconds long.

What would you do?

I am used to the Panasonic cameras and also to manual settings. Is it easy/fast to learn a total new camera, or is it best to just do the safe thing and hire in a camera man that is experienced with the equipment we are renting?

It's importan to get a good result. The budget on the production is 40 000 NOK (6500 USD).

Appreciate all help and opions. Thankyou :)

/Josefin Sandberg

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Camera choice for a comercial on national TV
on Jan 7, 2014 at 3:46:14 pm

There's really know way to know what's best, since we don't know what your commercial subject is, what kind of style or look that you are looking for, or any of a bunch of other things...

But yes, I think your last guess is best....

On a lowish-budget project like that you will not have any wiggle room or budget to cover any mistakes, re-dos, or extra time to play with brand-new-to-you gear and get it right.

In that case I think it would be wise to hire an experienced DP who owns his or her own gear... something like a Canon C300 or C500, or an EPIC, or something along those lines (with a good arsenal of lenses). I think you'll be better off in the long run and get better results along with much more for your money.

Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Camera choice for a comercial on national TV
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:45:13 pm

It's never been the camera and lens alone that determines a successful spot. Clio winners have been shot with cheap cameras as well as REDs. So much has to do with everything else: the script, the acting, the directing/composition, the LIGHTING, art direction, the sound, the post-production... dozens of factors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved