FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music Video

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Harrison Gruber
Music Video
on Dec 5, 2013 at 10:48:02 pm

Hey All, I'm shooting a band doing an in studio recording sessions and I'll be using audio off the mixing board. What information do I have to exchange with the person in charge of audio? (frame rates? sampling rate? kHz?)

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Music Video
on Dec 8, 2013 at 3:43:48 pm

Frame rate isn't important in this case. Audio doesn't have an inherent frame rate. If the band is performing to playback, your camera audio is for reference only. For your edit, you'd use a file of the mixed track and edit to that. If you're recording the actual performance, it's most important not to clip your audio. It's best to record Line In on the cam(s). As studios are notorious for recording "hot" levels, you might want to bring a couple attenuators (pads) that go in the cable before your cam to lower the level. If possible have them perform or playback the loudest part of the track so you can set your cam input levels. Leave plenty of headroom. Ask the audio engineer to send you reasonable levels. A good guideline is to make sure your cam input level control is set over 50% and, if necessary, have the audio engineer lower his send until it is. After your first take (or after a rehearsal take) be sure to playback the loudest part of the track to be sure the audio isn't clipping.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]