FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 noob questions :)

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Markovic
2 noob questions :)
on Dec 2, 2013 at 10:48:47 am

Hello everyone,
I have two trivial questions on which I couldn't find answer...
I hope that this is right place for me :)
1. I see on every behind the scenes video that one member of crew (probably AC) use some device which looks like black box with some kind of lenses and viewfinder,
It looks to me, like some kind of light metering... But device doesn’t look like light meter.
2. There is always one little black device with seven segment display (red numbers) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-segment_display ) which is attached to camera body.

What are those two devices? It really bugs my mind...
PS. Sorry for my English. :)

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: 2 noob questions :)
on Dec 2, 2013 at 2:57:50 pm

Hi Filip,

You're probably wondering about the "Cine-Tape" which is an ultrasonic device to measure distances for focus.

Here's the link to the manufacturer's website with complete information:

http://www.cinemaelec.com/products/cinetapemeasure.php

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 2, 2013 at 3:44:47 pm

That's interesting, John... pretty cool. Probably works better than my method, which is a Stanley "Fat Max" laser tape measure. Then again, I imagine it's a touch more expensive than the hundred-buck Stanley.

And Filip... John may be right about Item #1... my only other thought would be that it is a Fries director's finder that you are seeing. But it's unlikely you'd ever see an AC using that, so I don't know...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_x4GqRY1Wuq8/Sk_Rwjj1VBI/AAAAAAAACPw/fo1rHOBhkXg/s...

As for Item #2, not sure, probably some kind of timecode slave for the smartslate.

If you have any links to examples of these we could probably tell you exactly what they are.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:10:19 pm

Todd,

I think the #2 is the other part of the Cine Tape, the readout. It's available now in both wired and wireless versions.

JS

Return to posts index

Filip Markovic
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:31:54 pm

Thank you John, thats it...

Return to posts index

Filip Markovic
on Dec 2, 2013 at 4:44:48 pm

"A picture is worth a thousand words"

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:04:44 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:09:52 pm

Well those are definitely two unrelated things...

The top photo is a camera (still camera, an SLR or DSLR) in a soundproof blimp... so the still photographer can silently take production photos during takes....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:21:02 pm

Incidentally, as far as the Cine-Tape goes, RedrockMicro also makes a device like that, although theirs is an all-in-one, not a separate display.

No doubt it is not quite as full-featured as the one from Cinematography Electronics... but it's about a tenth the price...

http://store.redrockmicro.com/Catalog/microTape-Sonar-Rangefinder/microTape

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:29:13 pm

HI Todd,

Apples and Oranges; the Red Rock is a Laser, so it's visible and potentially injurious (also 10x the price of a simple laser measure). The Cine Tape allows real time use as the subject or camera moves during the shot.

As with all specialized movie kit, it's priced commensurately, but always seems with the cost when the "impossible" shot is made and in focus!

The economics of it are that the top camera assistants can both rent to the show and/or just use it to do their job much better. It's a finicky device and best used by an owner operator who's familiar with it's quirks and has also the special widgets to mount it properly.

Frankly, the AC's I know who own these units are generally the best in the business!

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:35:08 pm
Last Edited By Todd Terry on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:38:16 pm

[john sharaf] "Apples and Oranges"

Oh no doubt, I'm sure they are not even in the same ballpark...

[john sharaf] " the Red Rock is a Laser"

Just one clarification, the Redrock does have a laser you can turn on as an "aiming assit," but like the other unit it does work ultrasonically and does continuous measuring.

I do not own nor use either. Sometimes I'll whip out the aforementioned Fat Max, but not often. And I still have the old-fashioned roll-up tape measure if I'm wanting to feel real Old Hollywood... ha.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Filip Markovic
on Dec 2, 2013 at 5:33:53 pm

John and Todd, thank you very much. You solve my mystery :)
It's funny to me that I never saw sound proof housings for dslr cameras, beside movie sets...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Dec 2, 2013 at 6:05:38 pm

[Filip Markovic] "It's funny to me that I never saw sound proof housings for dslr cameras, beside movie sets...
"

Yeah, I've really only seen them on movie sets, or even more commonly, in TV studios. I've always thought you'd see them at golf tournaments (although I never have), where many times snapping photos is verboten. A photographer will certainly at minimum get glared at if he snaps a photo before or during a swing, and often kicked off the course.

Then again the sound barneys are big bulky cumbersome plastic affairs, basically just a little Pelican case with soundproofing inside, a tube for the lens, a couple of connectors for basic controls, and a window in back so you can see the screen or through the viewfinder. Big clunky things.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]