FORUMS: list search recent posts

choosing a better camera for green screen shooting: panasonic AG-HPX250PJ vs Sony FDR-AX1

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Antony Monteiro
choosing a better camera for green screen shooting: panasonic AG-HPX250PJ vs Sony FDR-AX1
on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:28:00 am

hello my fellow artists,
Here I am with a new confusion at hand. presently i am working on the composting videos. I do a lot of green screen removal and color correction. My software of choice being Adobe After Effects.

The thing bugging me presently is the camera that we use here is Panasonic AG-AC160A. we have a smaller than usual room in our facility to shoot so the lighting here is creating spills on the actor or subject and it is hard to remove it. I think it is because of the color sampling being 4:2:0.

But now we are getting a new camera so here are my 3 main concerns:

1.using a different other than Panasonic while shooting with multiple cameras does it give color differences?

2.which is the best camera among these two Panasonic AG-HPX250PJ or Sony FDR-AX1

3.What things should I bear in mind while buying a camera for chroma keying and getting a highly detailed video.

if there are any other better cameras in the price range of $7000 please mention. any links to other forums and sites will be really helpfull.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
Re: choosing a better camera for green screen shooting: panasonic AG-HPX250PJ vs Sony FDR-AX1
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:28:20 pm

If you are getting green spill on your actors, I doubt a "better" camera is going to help you very much. The problem lies in the lighting. Things to consider:

-- can you reduce the intensity of the lights on the green screen and still pull a good key? Try pushing that envelope with some experiments. (You can reduce the intensity of those lights by adding ND 3 gels to what I presume are your even soft lights hitting the screen. ND3 reduces intensity 1 stop. If you can pull a clean key with an ND3 on those lights, add another layer, reducing the intensity 2 stops. Keep going until you can no longer pull a clean key (ignoring the green fringing.)

-- try adding soft 3/4 back light with light magenta gels to offset the green contamination. Be careful of too much light intensity. The idea is to just offset the green, not add a magenta ring around everything, which will look pretty bad. Start with 1/4 minus green (magenta.) If that's not enough, double the layers to 1/2, etc.

Rick

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Antony Monteiro
Re: choosing a better camera for green screen shooting: panasonic AG-HPX250PJ vs Sony FDR-AX1
on Nov 23, 2013 at 1:52:06 am

Thank u Rick for the advise.

It was very helpful. reducing the intensity kills the spills and now i'm able to pull out a neat key.

Now we are buying a new camera along with the Panasonic 160A. so among the two models i mentioned above which is the right one for green screen shooting. are there any cameras that shoot in 4k resolution with 4:2:2 color sampling within 10,000$.

we need to shoot 2 scenes at a time simultaneously.

one camera will be capturing the subject on a normal frame and the other one with zooming and close ups and all that.

will buying a different brand camera other than panasonic camera give odd color results?

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Nov 23, 2013 at 3:14:05 am

Since you are able now to pull a clean key with the camera you have, why are you sweating this issue?

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Antony Monteiro
on Nov 23, 2013 at 3:38:01 am

because we are getting another camera and I simply wanna get the right one. if i sweat or not , the company will buy a new camera. so its worth a while getting the right one for the job I guess.

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:42:28 pm

"because we are getting another camera and I simply wanna get the right one. if i sweat or not , the company will buy a new camera. so its worth a while getting the right one for the job I guess."

Makes sense to me. In that case, you will likely find it much easier to intercut two different Panasonic cameras than the one you have with a Sony. Things will be even easier if all your cameras are the same make and model.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

Antony Monteiro
on Nov 25, 2013 at 4:24:07 am

Thank U again Rick. Will go with the Panasonic then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]