FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this done in camera or post?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Is this done in camera or post?
on Nov 18, 2013 at 2:33:11 pm

This look is very popular these days. Bright overall tone, good saturation and not dramatic light but very soft light. Skin tones are very smooth, colors bright.

Is this achieved by shooting RAW and then building up the color etc? Or is this done with a ton of soft light on set?

Have a look:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/71Nb/samsung-galaxy-note-101-day-in-the-life

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/75An/samsung-galaxy-note-101-trade

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: Is this done in camera or post?
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:26:56 pm

Hi Rich,

The look of these spots (and all moving images in general) is established with the lighting and art direction and them embellished in post.

The technology included in the newest Digital Cinema Cameras and the now ubiquitous Color Correction platforms accessible to all budgets definitely enables more sophisticated manipulations than in the past.

In the examples you offer, the look really starts with the design of the set (allowing soft overhead lighting) and the color palette of the wardrobe, walls and furnishings. None of this comes cheaply or without extensive pre-visualization and planning; such is the nature of making high end commercials.

Most likely you're looking at images created on an Arri Alexa camera which is known for it's "organic" and not overly enhanced look and then "processed" in CC making use of "power windows", especially on the faces.

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:39:22 pm

Yep, listen to John, as usual.

Lots of post work there... BUT... the vast majority of that "look" happened at the shoot. Set, wardrobe, and really perfect lighting. I'm willing to bet that this is one of those cases where the simpler something looks, the more complicated it actually is. The lighting is so soft (yet without being flat) that while it is almost unnoticeable, I bet the actual lighting plot was pretty darn complex.

In the end I'm sure there was a ton of color grading in post... but I'm also betting those images looked pretty darn great right out of the camera.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:12:21 pm

Google DaVinci Resolve and watch some of the available tutorials. They'll demonstrate the power of these kinds of apps. There's a Lite version you can download for free. It probably has 95% of the functionality of the paid app.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]