FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mounting jib atop car

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Brookwell
Mounting jib atop car
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:28:41 pm

I am looking to attach a jib/crane on the backside of my Jeep grand cherokee. I cannot find anything online about making a diy camera car. Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Dan

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Mounting jib atop car
on Nov 6, 2013 at 7:09:19 pm

Most people don't publish that kind of DIY info for reasons of liability.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 6, 2013 at 8:14:21 pm

Seems pretty straightforward (liability notwithstanding)...

DISCLAIMER

I disavow the workability of this scenario and do not consider it "advice" but merely a description of the ways I would try to do it, if I were to choose to do this... which I probably wouldn't.

Ok....

To attach it to the top, I'd affix a sheet of plywood to the top of the Jeep, strap it down (with appropriate pads/spacers to protect the top). To that plywood, near the rear or at any point of choosing, I'd screw down a high-hat. On the high-hat I would mount my jib.

To attach it to the rear, I'd get a short piece of appropriately-sized square steel tubing to fit in the trailer hitch receiver (that is, guessing you have a hitch receiver, my jeep has one). To that I'd weld a cross-piece of tubing so that forms a "T." To that "T" I'd then mount a small piece of plywood. On that goes the high-hat, and on the high-hat goes the jib. Obviously all the appropriate holes are drilled in the tubing for mounting bolts, etc. You might even be able to get away without the welding, the "T," the plywood, or the high-hat...depending on how your jib is made. My particular jib has a flat kinda-Mitchell-style base, so I could probably just drill one hole in the tubing that is stuck in the hitch receiver and mount the jib right to that.

Now I'm not sure of the workability or controllability of this setup. But in my defense, you only asked how to mount it... and either of these would do that.

Let us know what you decide to do, how it goes, and where to send flowers.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:25:54 pm

Do you think jibs are nearing the end of their relevance, as RC electric multicopters hauling go-pros and the like seem like they can do all the same kinds of moves?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:43:43 pm

Short answer, "no."

I think jibs and cranes will always be relevant, or at least for the foreseeable future.

They can do some of the same things as helicopters, but they don't both do exactly the same things.

Each is just another tool. I do a lot of slider shots now where in years past they might have been a dolly shots (did a few today, in fact)... but now the slider will get me what I need easier and faster. I still have dollys though... they're not irrelevant, sometimes nothing else will do.

I think it's the same for jibs. Those other tools may take a little bit of a bite out of them, I don't think it will kill them, not by a long shot.

Maybe if the helicopter systems get to the point where they are a fraction of the price they are now, take a fraction of the time to set up, are easier to use, perfectly stable, perfectly repeatable, can carry a legitimate load, and are totally completely 10000% silent and with zero prop wash... well then they might render jibs irrelevant. Not there quite yet.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]