FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless monitoring system

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Berat User
Wireless monitoring system
on Oct 18, 2013 at 11:01:31 pm

Hi,

I am a DP doing a reality show. We have 5 cameras running on the set. Director wants to see all( at least 4) pictures. Is there a reliable wireless system. I have so far tried Avalon, camwave and teradek cube. Although they work indivually, when all the cameras and tranmitters running we had a lot of signal drop off. It is a fast moving show and solving tech problems on the set is a luxury.

Is there a reliable system out there?
Thanks for all the responses.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Wireless monitoring system
on Oct 19, 2013 at 8:31:50 pm

I would think, based on specs that performance between Camwave/Teradek them would be similar - they're rated for about 300ft line-of-sight use.

The issue that comes to mind is if the channel/frequency selection for each transmitter/receiver pair is far enough away from each other to avoid crosstalk. I'd give Teradek and IDX (Camwave) an email and see what they recommend or if 4 cameras on their system is possible.

Avalon's COFDM system seems the most promising as you can select multiple frequency bands while other products are limited to the 5gHz spread. Their system seems limited to SD though, as HD is marked as "coming soon".

Cobham and a few other companies make HD COFDM systems if your director wants it or if it's not worth the expense of downconverts.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks
Can your post production question fit in a tweet? Follow me on Twitter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]