FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rollercoaster POV camera choice

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin Durham
Rollercoaster POV camera choice
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:04:11 pm

Hey all y'all!

My company has been contracted to do a "POV shoot" of a big, fast, roller coaster at a multi-flagged theme park this Friday. I'm curious if anyone else has done anything like this or could recommend any camera systems/setups to rent.

We have a couple of Sony EX3s - I feel like they're probably too bulky and not rugged enough to strap to a roller coaster

We have a couple of 5D mkiii's, but again, I don't know if theyre rugged enough for this job.

GoPros come to mind, but I'm afraid they may not deliver professional enough looking footage.

Other concerns:

Because of the fast and shaky movement, will a gross rolling shutter effect become an issue with the GoPros or other cameras?

What iris settings would be ideal for this type of autonomous camera? With the potential of shooting directly into the sun or in completely shaded areas, I feel like "auto" will be the best bet, but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Rollercoaster POV camera choice
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:44:43 pm

Just a knee-jerk first guess... but I'd certainly consider renting the Novo camera from Radiant Images.

If you're not familiar with those, they are modified (heavily modified) GoPro Hero3 cameras. I've certainly seen some outstanding stuff from them.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Benjamin Durham
on Oct 7, 2013 at 5:46:46 pm

Thanks. I'll check it out now

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Oct 8, 2013 at 5:35:08 pm

First thing I would do is locate a good CCD video camera, so that rolling-shutter distortion doesn't end up destroying your shots. ( I own a Panasonic HMC-150 which uses a CCD with global shutter. The Panasonic HPX-170 and HVX-200A cameras also use CCD sensors, so no rolling-shutter issues with these cameras.

Second thing I would do is look at adapting a good cine car-mount to use it to mount your cameras.

Sounds like a fun project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]