FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod question

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzin Daly
Tripod question
on Sep 5, 2013 at 5:50:09 pm

I am looking for recommendations for tripods. It is time for me to get a higher quality than what I have 'DAIWA' it has been O.K. for what I do, mostly interviews and documentary. It is suppose to be able to handle up to 10 lbs. Panning is difficult to stay smooth. I have felt better fluid heads. I am somewhat familiar with Manfrotto brand, I am open to all suggestions. My goals is to have consistent tension for panning, solid legs, etc.

Sz

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Tripod question
on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:17:08 pm

Manfrotto, O'Connor, Sachtler all make great fluid pan heads. Expect to pay a grand for a good head (or more) and about that much for good legs, in carbon fiber.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:34:29 pm

Thank you for the response
Sz

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Sep 5, 2013 at 8:52:03 pm

I've been pleasantly surprised with a little Manfrotto 502HD head that I recently got for lightweight run-n-gun stuff. It's available in flat base or ball base. I bought the flat base one so I can use it on a slider when I need to. I also got a half-ball adapter so I could use it on regular bowl sticks.

It's about at your weight range, and is a decent head.

No, it's not quite in the league as the Oconnor head I usually use as my primary head... but it weighs a fifth as much. And at about 200 bucks it is literally 1/20th the price.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Sep 7, 2013 at 12:11:47 pm

Thanks this was very helpful...

Return to posts index

Guy McLoughlin
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:09:40 pm

Stay away from Manfrotto, they are generally terrible when it comes to properly counter-balancing a camera rig.

With a properly balanced video head you can swing your camera in any direction then let go and the camera will stay exactly where you let it go without having to lock anything.

Over the past 10 years I've owned 5 different Manfrotto heads and all of them had the same poor counter-balancing problem.

Here's my list starting from the cheapest video tripod that can properly balance a camera rig...

Benro A2573FS6 Tripod with S6 Head : $300

Sachtler Ace M Tripod and Head : $560

Libec RS-250RM Tripod and Head : $772

Libec RS-350RM Tripod and Head : $1,100

Libec RS-450RM Tripod and Head : $1,250

Vinten VB-AP2M Vision Blue Tripod and Head : $1,210

Vinten VB3-AP2M Vision Blue 3 Tripod and Head : $1,830

Sachtler 0475 FSB-6 Carbon-Fiber Tripod System : $1,804

Sachtler 0772 FSB-8 Tripod System : $1,935

All of these are excellent choices with great video heads, just pick one that can handle the weight range of your camera rig and that fits your budget.

Return to posts index

Suzin Daly
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:19:18 pm

wow, this is very helpful. Thank you so much for such detailed information. This list is in my budget.....

Best....Suzin

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 7, 2013 at 6:48:40 pm

Vinten HEADS are good... OTOH, Vinten LEGS and spreaders were so frustrating to us, a day of using them.. scratch that; *trying* to use them, would make you angry enough to kick puppies.

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:14:31 pm

Think of a tripod as two pieces: the legs & the head. If you have budget constraints, buy the best head possible, and spend less on the legs (aluminum, for example, is heavier, and thus cheaper than carbon fiber). I have a fifteen year old Sachtler rig that still works flawlessly -- silky-smooth action. I mention this only because a quality tripod will far outlast whatever camera you're currently using. So don't "cheap-out" -- invest in your career with quality gear...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]