FORUMS: list search recent posts

Would anyone care to share images of great interview composition

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Grauert
Would anyone care to share images of great interview composition
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:41:06 pm

I work for a corporate company and lately we've been shooting more documentary style projects. I can compose a decent interview by following rule of thirds, ensuring the scene is well lit, and choosing an interesting background; however, I haven't gotten to the point where I shoot awesome interviews...interviews that really pop and stand out.

Would anyone care to share some shots of really well done interviews that I can study?

Thanks!

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
http://www.facebook.com/robgrauertvideo

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Would anyone care to share images of great interview composition
on Aug 6, 2013 at 2:55:12 pm

I wouldn't say these are GREAT, Rob... but I think they are solid.

This is a pic that I posted a few days ago in another thread. The discussion was about quick down-n-dirty interview lighting, and specifically about backlight placement (and how a lower more-to-the-side backlight can give a nice little splash across the side of the face, sometimes a bit more natural and interesting than a three-point-lighting look).

For a Chamber of Commerce job we recently had to go to 60 different businesses and interview people there... so many that we had to do them really fast, run-n-gun lighting with just two or three battery-powered daylight LED instruments.

If I had plenty of time I'd probably do them a bit different/better, but these are some quickies...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:05:51 pm

Here's another fast composition/lighting image from an old post, something I posted a long time ago.

This is my quickie trick with just one instrument for lighting/comp when you are dealing with a reasonably large daylight space. These weren't interviews, but they could be...

I use a single 1200w HMI high and to the rear and one side of the subject... it blasts into a white 4x4 bounce as the key, and I steal a little bit of the light directly on the subject as a hair/back/side light...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rob Grauert
on Aug 6, 2013 at 3:12:34 pm

Thanks, Terry. These are some great examples =)

Rob Grauert, Jr.
http://www.robgrauert.com
http://www.facebook.com/robgrauertvideo

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Aug 7, 2013 at 1:53:44 pm

Since Todd talked about practicals I'll touch a little on green screen work. Here is sample of GC work where I like to take into consideration what the practicals are and how I can recreate them in post.

Here I put a hair light with a high yellow on the subject and then in post added a yellowish glow to make it look like it was being generated from the location. I also added a complementary blue light behind the Image in the background to create a pleasant contrast with his skin color.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:19:01 pm

Those are nice examples by Todd and Emre. Here's an interview I posted a couple of years ago that somehow became the most viewed corporate video on the COW. LIke Todd, I like a backlight that splashes on the side of the face.

I was stuck in a lunchroom with no interesting backgrounds at all, so I used a CDM fresnel to create a gradient on a blank wall. I used a fluorescent bank for the key and led panels for the fill and backlight.

Dr. Lichtenstein Bio

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mike Cohen
on Oct 1, 2013 at 1:00:35 am

I shot this video in 4 locations generally using a kino for key, arri 150 for back light and a collapsible gold reflector for fill.
You don't always have an optimal location but you make the best of it.
Sometimes fewer lights are better. Just make sure client is cool with interview style lighting (is some shadows) as some corporate folks want flat lighting which requires more instruments.

Main problem with tight spaces is you can't always make a soft background
Mike Cohen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]