FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sliders compatablity with Tripods.

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale Roberts
Sliders compatablity with Tripods.
on Jul 10, 2013 at 6:51:24 am

Hi,

I am looking at buying some gear... A tripod and a slider... My plan is to work with the slider mounted to the tripod permanently so I can shoot static and then also do the slides should the need arise- I need to work quickly...

I know this is possible with a Manfrotto and a Kanovo slider...

Keen on the Kanovo but not so keen on the Manfrottos... It may even come down to the fact that I have to hire tripods for a while so I am wondering if anyone knows if these sliders will mount with any tripod in the way that I want?

Here is a video showing the mounting of a Kanovo/Manfrotto just to show what I want to do...

scroll to around 2:30 to see...

Many thanks,
dale
Dale

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Sliders compatablity with Tripods.
on Jul 10, 2013 at 7:59:30 am

I have that exact same slider, but I don't tripod mount it quite like that... or at least not only like that.

A lot of it has to do with how much camera weight you are putting on it. My camera body (C300) only weighs about 4 lb, but rigged out with everything I put on it brings it up to about 13 pounds. Plus my tripod head is 10 pounds so thats a fair bit of weight.

We use an Oconner tripod that's a bit beefier than that Manfrotto. I think that Manfrotto would work, though... but if you put much weight on it I'd do what we do, which is not mount it in the center of the slider but mount it on one end of the slider. Then screw in a monopod in the other end to brace that end up. We've also held the "free" end up with a short-riser C-stand. It works well and is pretty sturdy.

I still wouldn't walk away from it or leave it unattended.

I think you'll like that slider, though. We got the K3 basically because it was dirt cheap, it was for a pretty specific job and I didn't want to make a big investment. But I was pleasantly surprised... it's built and works quite well, and I use it all the time.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dale Roberts
Re: Sliders compatablity with Tripods.
on Jul 10, 2013 at 11:10:34 am

Thanks Todd...

Yeah, its for a C100 and would probably have a small wide angle lens attached...

I want it to just attach to a 'pod alone so I can be as mobile as possible shoot statics and slides as needed without stopping to change gear... in other words run around all day with the slider attached... shoot normally off the tripod and then sometimes do a reveal or something...

I am just hoping that every brand of tripod will do what the above video shows with the Manfrotto as I will be hiring tripods at first... and it could be any brand from Vinten, Miller, Satchelor etc...

What do you think? Will I get away with it?

Its tough when noone retails these here in Oz!

Dale

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]