FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panning Problem

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Denver
Panning Problem
on Jun 16, 2013 at 7:44:48 am

Hi, I'm new here.

I'm also new to videography but I already covered a couple of events. I just noticed that when I do slow panning with my nikon d7000 the video stutters or becomes choppy. What am I doing wrong? If I dont do panning the video seems alright.

My settings:
NTSC 30fps
HD 720p

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Panning Problem
on Jun 16, 2013 at 5:10:25 pm

Hi Mark...

What shutter speed are you shooting?

Shooting at a higher than "normal" shutter speed can give choppy looking imagines ("normal" meaning a speed equivalent to a 180° shutter in a motion picture camera).

A "normal" shutter speed is "one over twice the frame rate." Ergo, for your 30fps shooting a normal shutter would be 1/60th of a second.

Faster than that and you get that choppy strobby "narrow shutter" look. Think "Saving Private Ryan" or "Gladiator." It's popular in movies now to make action scenes look more "actiony"...but can make scenes you want to look normal look just plain bad.

That higher shutter speed makes images look choppy because each frame is sharp... no motion blur. Your brain needs that motion blur to interpret the motion as smooth.

People often mistakenly use higher shutter speeds to cut down on overexposure and not realizing it seriously affects the motion look of the images.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Denver
on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:11:42 am

Thank you for the reply Todd. I will try shooting at 1/60.. :)

Return to posts index

charles meadows
on Jun 24, 2013 at 5:07:11 pm

Todd is spot on! Try to control the light coming into your camera through the ISO and aperture. Think about getting a variable ND filter. We shoot PAL with the D800 and use a shutter speed of 50, we also find we get excellent results for handheld work with a shutter speed of a 100. Obviously do the NTSC equivalent of what we do.

"There's no point in filming if you don't have fun"
Charles Meadows
Creative Director
Incubate Productions South Africa
http://www.incubatevideo.co.za

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]