FORUMS: list search recent posts

How was this filmed?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Kwan
How was this filmed?
on May 17, 2013 at 6:15:01 pm

I'm looking to re-create something like this: https://vimeo.com/28352072

I plan on doing a similar shoot. I have a friends warehouse to use as studio space and I'm looking to rent video equipment/lighting.

How would I go about achieving the same effect?
I've really only done DSLR video, but I'm considering renting a RED Scarlet-X or Canon C100, will either of these get the job done? And how would I go about a similar lighting set up?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: How was this filmed?
on May 17, 2013 at 6:25:50 pm

HI Derek,

First go to the bank and make a $25000 loan.

Then rent Phantom Camera ($2500) + Lenses & Accessories as the shot looks like 700-100FPS. Did I say Phantom Tech too with proper DIT Station for Download, Transcode and Archive?

Also will need 25-40' Ceiling Stage and large lift to mount and/or hold 20K Light + Power, Cable and Distro

If you want Ice, you'll need to install that (unless you rent an Arena where the Ice Capades just played)

Good luck,

JS

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 17, 2013 at 7:20:35 pm

Yeah John is right as he almost invariably is, so it always behooves me to listen to him.

I'd agree and say with 99% certainty that's a Phantom camera shoot. The last time I checked though they were about $7K a day, with operator/tech. John has better resources though and probably knows a bargain-basement Phantom source.

You might get some acceptable results (depending on what your definition of "acceptable" is) by shooting with the camera you have at as high a fps as you can (will the C100 do 60fps? I'm guessing it might, my C300 will) with a very high shutter speed and using Twixtor to interpolate frames to simulate a higher frame rate. If going that route I'd suggest reading/watching as many of the third-party Twixtor tutorials that you can find on line. There are zillions of little quirks and tweaks and things that you have to do just right for Twixtor to give good results... and just as many things that you can do that give bad results. With this particular scenario I'd say you could expect results that are fair or a little bitter... as I said it just depends on how perfect it needs to be.

Your mileage may vary.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Derek Kwan
on May 18, 2013 at 12:10:29 am

Hah thanks for the blunt answers John, the ice was a nice touch.

And Todd, gotcha I figured that was the route I would have to take.
The RED Scarlet-X can shoot at 120fps, so yes I may go that route and use Twixtor.

http://www.derek-kwan.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 18, 2013 at 12:58:53 am

Give it at try at 120fps, then.

Just remember to shoot at a shutter speed that is appropriate for the frame rate that you are simulating, not for the frame rate you are actually shooting. I.e., where you might normally shoot somewhere in the 1/250th neighbhorhood when shooting 120fps, you'll want to actually shoot this at a much higher shutter speed.

As I said, read and watch EVERYTHING you can about Twixtor before you pull trigger. There are LOTS of little dos and don'ts that the software manufacturer doesn't tell you... lots of little tricks and tips and things that will make it work better, like framing, lighting, motion types and direction, etc.

I will say that Twixtor works best with subjects that are completely contained within the frame, and that things that violate frame edges cause it big problems (i.e., while that wide shot might be fine, the torso closeups might not be). The other thing of note is that Twixtor works very best with things that have a linear motion... that it struggles the very most with a subject that is twisting or spinning, which unfortunately in your case is exactly what the subject is doing. You might get decent results, might not.

The biggest plus though with Twixtor is that you don't have to buy it to try it. The demo is fully functional except that it watermarks the footage with a big red "X." That way you can play with all the almost infinite adjustments and settings to see if you can get a decent result before plopping done the 600 bucks or so for the plug-in.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]