FORUMS: list search recent posts

What camera would be recommanded for sports?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Fodde
What camera would be recommanded for sports?
on May 7, 2013 at 4:16:49 am

I've been shooting a lot of football games and I want to upgrade my camera. What would be a recommended camera to consider?

I was wondering would the Sony nex-vg30H be good to get? It looks like the type of camera I want and it shoots at 60 fps and I'm familiar with the VG-10 so I will be able to use the VG-30H with ease.

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: What camera would be recommended for sports?
on May 8, 2013 at 12:03:16 pm

Hi Christopher - if you want a large sensor, interchangeable lens camcorder with a power zoom for sports, I recommend the $3425 Sony NEX-EA50 instead of the $2698 VG30 - because of the EA50's shoulder mount, pro XLR audio inputs and better in-camera control of contrast and color.

Here is a soccer promo shot with the EA50:

That said, large sensor CMOS cameras are vulnerable to a phenomenon called "skew" or "rolling shutter" when panned quickly or when recording fast action (see example on the moving sawblade at 0:40 in this video). This will not be a problem for shooting football from the stands - but may be a challenge for extremely fast action in close-in sideline shots.

If you plan fast pans or closeups of fast-moving action, and don't need the depth of field control provided by the large sensor of the NEX cameras, a small sensor CCD based camera, such as the $1995 JVC GY-HM150, may be a better camera for you. CCDs are not susceptible to rolling shutter.

Here is a slow motion rugby short shot with the HM150 (please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Christopher Fodde
Re: What camera would be recommended for sports?
on May 10, 2013 at 2:37:45 am

Thanks for the comment, here is a football highlight tape I did for a player and all the on-field shots I used the Sony VG10. If you have any tips or more camera recommendations please let me know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]