FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slow Motion Fast Movement

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerad Hill
Slow Motion Fast Movement
on Apr 22, 2013 at 5:55:00 pm

Hi all! I am wanting to produce a fast moving slow motion effect like seen in this video. I am assuming this could be done with a DSLR shooting at 60fps. My question is about how you get fast movement while slowmotion is happening? If I was to guess what was done in this video, I would assume that the camera was on some sort of dolly track or on a golf cart going in the oposite direction of the people.

Also, in respect to the freeze frame camera movement specifically when the subject seems to stop and the camera moves by quickly, the only way I could imagine this happening is with a camera array. Do any of you know of a way to do this with just one single camera? If you think it can be done with one camera, it would require fast movement and a fast shutter speed correct?

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciate.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Slow Motion Fast Movement
on Apr 22, 2013 at 7:12:10 pm

That's a really great piece, beautifully done...

But as for....

[Jerad Hill] " I am assuming this could be done with a DSLR shooting at 60fps."

...well, no.

I'm not saying you couldn't do something cool with your DSLR, but it's not going to look exactly like that, or even fairly close. My guess that was shot with some flavor of the Phantom camera, as some of those shots were really really high fps... many many times faster than any DSLR would do... we're talking way up in the hundreds of fps, if not 1000fps+.

You could try something like that with your DSLR and do the super slo-mo in post with some kinda of frame interpolation method such as Twixtor, but the results aren't likely going to be nearly as good as in the sample.

The technique is mostly fairly straightforward... just the usual speed ramps (easy breezy) and some really fast dolly moves (not as easy) but technically it's not too complicated (if you have the right camera). Aesthetically, though, it's really beautifully done... one of those jobs that makes me say "Oh man, I wish I'd done that."

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]