FORUMS: list search recent posts

MōVI

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
MōVI
on Apr 17, 2013 at 8:00:23 pm

So, who's ready to plunk their deposit on the new MōVI?

I have to admit we're more than mildly considering it... but I'd sure like to be able to play with one a bit first before I commit to $15K...

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
Re: MōVI
on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:34:39 pm

I couldn't find them at NAB, maybe I needed to look harder. I am also very intrigued by this.

The AC's that work on Movi shoots are going to go bold at a very young age.

Return to posts index

Rick Amundson
on Apr 17, 2013 at 11:55:53 pm

They were definitely at NAB and I had a chance to play with it. Todd, it is AWESOME! If I had 15K, I'd do it. It worked as advertised and if you have any experience with "steadi-rigs" you will love this. The camera pans intuitively, the tilt stays locked where you put it, the camera comes to a dead stop quickly and without and float. You won't put an Alexa on it but it would handle you C300 with ease. Adding second person pan and tilt is done easily with some motors and controller from a hobby shop.

I do have to say, however, that I heard that the price of their gyros are coming down so hopefully the price tag will too. I also heard that they are making a smaller, cheaper one.

Best of luck!

Rick Amundson
Producer/Director/DP
Screenscape Studios
Bravo Romeo Entertainment
http://www.screenscapestudios.com
http://www.bravoromeo.com
http://www.indeliblemovie.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 18, 2013 at 1:02:27 am

Awesome Rick... you are the first person I've talked with who has actually seen the darn thing first hand, good to know that it works.

[Rick Amundson] "if you have any experience with "steadi-rigs" you will love this."

Yeah, I think my Steadicamming days are waning. I hit the big 5-0 in about a month and more and more realize the Steadicam is a young man's toy. Every time I walk by our rig hanging in the studio I think that I'd rather get in an iron maiden than get strapped into that rig again. Emre gave me some good advice about selling it, which I think I'm going to take.

[Rick Amundson] "You won't put an Alexa on it but it would handle you C300 with ease. "

Well the unit you saw is the M10, which is the only one they have now... and would be just right for the C300. In development is the M5, which will fly up to 5lb of payload, and it will reportedly be half the price at $7500. After they they say the M20 will come next, geared to the Alexa crowd.

[Rick Amundson] "pan and tilt is done easily with some motors and controller from a hobby shop."

I was under the impression that the pan/tilt servos and controllers were part of the $15K package. Is that something you have to add on? Or rig up yourself? I figured a remote focus unit would be something the users would have to take care of themselves, but I thought the rest was inclusive.

[Rick Amundson] " I heard that the price of their gyros are coming down "

That's one of the puzzlers to me... their marketing always calls it a "gyro-stabilized" system, but in all the pics and video I've seen of it I can't spot any actual gyros. Every camera gyro I've ever seen was invariably about the same size and shape as a can of frozen orange juice, and I couldn't spot anything like that in the rig. Are there really gyros? If so, interesting... as gyros typically take a semi-hefty power source by themselves (as well as several several minutes to spin up to working speed).

I believe they are taking $2500 deposits now. I'm eager to see if they deliver what's promised in a timely fashion, or take the RED and BlackMagic Cinema tact of "You'll get it when you get it."

It's pretty darn interesting....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Apr 18, 2013 at 7:23:51 pm

From what I can tell, the Movi is basically a handheld version of the Cineflex system; Y'know, that $100k piece of hardware you put on a helicopter to get super smooth aerial shots. The problem with a device like this is the temptation to use it all the time, which means your work will look like the demo videos where every single shot is moving, floating, running, walking, flying, etc. Of course, when you put down a chunk of change, you want to get money's worth out of it. If I had one, I'd probably have Steadicam Syndrome™ too.

Speaking of cool toys, did you see RedRockMicro's One Man Crew? It's an automated parabolic slider.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 19, 2013 at 6:00:58 pm

Yes I've seen it and it's pretty awesome... except that its maximum speed is waaaaaay to slow for my usage.

I've been talking with Brian Valente at Redrock, and he says that at its fastest speed it takes 30 seconds to go from one end of the slider to the other.

I need something about three times that fast.

I can see how it is useful for long interviews, but in many of the demos I've seen its moving so slowly that the movement is almost imperceptible. I usually do commercials (not long-form things), and it's not usual for shots to be only a second or two long. Brian looked at a sample spot I sent him, and agreed saying there probably wouldn't be any noticeable movement in my shots if I had used the One Man Crew.

I'm hoping they ramp up the speed in future generations. It's cheap enough, I'd buy one today without hesitation if the darn thing would move faster.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Robert Ruffo
on Apr 26, 2013 at 11:07:10 pm

Movi is useful for shots that would otherwise be difficult or impossible.

However, fi you are a good Steadicam op, then you can do things that movi can't, like stabilize a camera's position in 3D , not just its orientation. Imagine, for example, how ridiculous a long walk and talk down the street - a Steadicam staple - would be using this device, or a slow creep near the ground.

All we see in the demo are very fast moving shots, where momentum helps smooth the 3D position problems. The demo also has only very wide angle shots. My wife can do a Steadicam take that is fifteen minutes long at 50mm, keeping a head-and-shoulders an actor well framed with no feeling of "walk bounce". try that with a Movi.

People who are selling their Steadicam rigs to buy this are quite frankly amazingly stupid.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 27, 2013 at 2:25:14 am

[Robert Ruffo] "People who are selling their Steadicam rigs to buy this are quite frankly amazingly stupid."

Well I might considering exactly that, and don't really consider myself amazingly stupid.

Of course I realize they are not interchangeable tools. While similar, they are two completely different things with very different capabilities and usages. I don't consider them purely "swappable" by any means.

I'm considering selling the Steadicam because I simply don't use it. 20+ years as a Steadicam operator, and I'm a bit over it. My back doesn't particularly like it any more, plus these days I don't really shoot 35mm or any other heavy cameras anymore with very much regularity, and our rig is way overkill for the little C300 that is my primary shooter now. I really can't remember the last time I suited up the rig, it just doesn't see action any more and the big case is just gathering dust and taking up valuable real estate on a studio shelf.

The MōVI on the other hand, I might actually use. So, I don't think selling my Steadicam and buying a MōVI is stupid, amazingly or otherwise. I think its selling one thing in other to buy another... not swapping one tool for another that supposedly does the same thing. It's like selling the sailboat you don't use anymore so you can buy the sports car that you will.

I might wait, though. This is a first-generation toy that I would expect to evolve a bit before it really "settles." I was chatting with Brian Valente (the RedrockMicro guru), and he said that his tech guys gave it a good going over at NAB... and while it seemed like something with amazing potential, that the version seen at NAB seemed just a tad "beta," in his words... with refinements expected to come.

We'll see what happens in the near future.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

David Turner
on May 10, 2013 at 11:22:50 pm

I just want to say I'm happy to come across this thread and hear more on people's thoughts.

I did check the M10 out at NAB and really liked it a lot. And it was still "beta." I think I am rounding up a couple other freelancers I work with a lot and splitting the cost of this thing. I wouldn't call anyone stupid for being interested in this.

I can't speak for the existing stedicam ops and market, but for those of us who want this stability and movement (and have mostly been depending on sliders, dollys, etc for any dynamic movement) for the price I think this is hands down amazing.

I am also quite excited about using this for documentary applications to give much, much more cinematic quality to situations where we are literally running around in unpredictable circumstances.

Someone may have answered this already, but yes it it all gyros.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]