Lighting Setup

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Thomson
Lighting Setup
on Mar 20, 2013 at 12:34:47 am

Hi All,

I'm interested in recreating a look 'in camera':

If I were to use a darkened studio and a fresnel mounted high up (1k?) with a couple of diffused/scrimmed fills (maybe 650w?) at a distance and then stop down like crazy - would I be thinking in the right way? Do you think a lantern/volume light might be more sane?

The original video is here:

Thanks for any pointers,

Paul

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
Re: Lighting Setup
on Mar 20, 2013 at 9:58:46 pm

Referring to the example you posted:

This was probably shot in front of a green screen with heavy post work so you will find it very difficult to replicate what you see using practical lights/location.

A darkened studio is a good start but all the walls and floor will have to be black. You will probably need more them a 1K to light the subject, you might want to bounce a light (Maxi Brute?)off a white board or silk off the ceiling and then put another layer of diffusion between the subject (Lee 250 1/2 White Diff)to wrap the light around him.

Then you can use low power scrims (350W-650W) directly to create the streaming light effect but either way it will be challenging. A camera with very high dynamic range will help you with your desired effects.

Very nice piece.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 20, 2013 at 10:30:34 pm

What Emre said...

One difference though... Emre might be right but it looks to me that this was shot in a practical location, not greenscreen. But it's a really nice piece and a really sweet lighting job. Pretty hard to do, you need exactly the right environment and the right instruments.

The straight-down follow-spot key light on the dancer puzzled me a little bit. It seems very hard on him... but it doesn't cast distinct hard shadows on the floor... the floor shadows are very soft. So either it's a very soft hardlight, or a very hard softlight. Hmmm. It seems much more controlled than you can usually do with a big soft source, and creates such hard shadows on him...but the hardness falls off like crazy. I can't quite explain that. Or maybe it all is composited, which could explain the shadow control.

On thing you said that confuses me a little...

[Paul Thomson] "...and then stop down like crazy..."

Stop down like crazy... why? Am I missing something?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 20, 2013 at 11:41:50 pm

I agree with Todd about the mystery of his shadow. The shadow really only shows when under his main body/feet. The arms make almost no shadow at all. I suspect a soft light coming through a circular gobo, both of which are not far above his head, but far enough so that there is not a huge drop-off of intensity between his shoulders and his thighs. In the wider shots the lighting rig is simply comped out. Note how from time to time there is a light lens flare.

Most likely shot on a real stage or location painted black all over. I am guessing the "smoke" effect is some NLE plug-in.

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Mar 21, 2013 at 1:20:35 am

So I did a little digging and found that the segment was created by a VFX company named Crush. They shot the segment with a Phantom in 8 second bursts in a green screen set. Post work was done using RealFlow, Maya, AfterEffects, Nuke, Cinema 4D, PF Track and Flame.

Amazing work, here is their site:
http://www.crushinc.com/

Return to posts index

Rick Wise
on Mar 21, 2013 at 2:28:01 am

Ha! I did some digging as well, but got nowhere. Bravo to you!

Rick Wise
Cinematographer
San Francisco Bay Area
http://www.RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:33:17 pm

Yeah, wow good call, Emre... I would have bet (at first) that was done practically... although I knew it was Phantom.

In my defense, I first viewed the video just on my phone. Now that I can see a high-res version on a real screen, it does look more like a composited scene, although I'll freely concede a really flawless one.

Really, the only thing that makes me know it's a composite is that the scene would just be so darn impossible to do practically.

That company does really outstanding work... it's worth some time poking around their website.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Paul Thomson
on Mar 21, 2013 at 3:50:52 pm

HI Guys,

Wow - I'm blown away by your helpful responses. I really was thinking too small. We have a ballet practice studio one day net week and the opportunity to black out the room along with a stage lighting rig across the ceiling to play with.

Emre, I like your thoughts on bouncing a stronger light with some diff. I have a test day in the studio next week and might drag along a 1k I have to test it on a smaller scale. I'll try a couple of scrims too - I'm getting very excited just thinking about it. I am shooting with a very experienced owner/operator on an Epic so I'll have some expert support and we should have plenty of dynamic range.

Rick, I'm glad I wasn't the only one confused about the shadow! I can't wait to show our team the Crush Inc video.

Todd, I shouldn't write posts late at night after a studio visit - too much excitement and not enough thought. I should have just said "stop down a bit" as I was just thinking about keeping it nice and sharp.

Thanks again for all of the inspiration - I'll let you know how our lighting test goes!

Cheers,

Paul

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Mar 22, 2013 at 5:29:49 pm

No problem, I am busy with a few days of filming but will follow up with lighting possibilities.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]