FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Camera Advice..?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandy Stuart
New Camera Advice..?
on Feb 18, 2013 at 7:31:24 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to move things up a few levels by purchasing a new unit in the next month or so. Thought I'd ask the question here as the cow forums have been a brilliant resource the past couple of years.

I've been using the Sony HDV-V1 since the summer of 2010. With Top Light, memory recording unit, radio/shotgun mics etc. I've found it solid and the tape/memory rec unit option/XLR inputs have been a plus.

I produce horse racing and other sport highlights, interviews and features for TV (SD - PAL) and online (HD - 1920 X 1080) Also, some corporate and training content.

I edit on 2 systems. First, Final Cut Pro 7 on Mac Pro and also Edius on PC platform. With MacDrive software on the PC, I find this a good system for all codecs and interchangeability. (I receive from externals in all kinds of containers and codecs)

So, I am looking for a multi purpose, reasonably mobile and lightweight camera with XLR audio inputs, Hard drive recording (suitable for MAC Capture codec wise) with good few hours of time available in both SD and HD, a good level fixed lens but with scope to accept widescreen lens etc too. I also want to be able to shoot in a variety of frame rates, including very high.

If there is a lightweight, mobile rail out there so I could learn about tracking I'd be massively interested in that too.

I suppose I could record the sound separate but I'd rather not as time is an issue right now, I don't think I need to be adding processes!

Any help would be hugely appreciated. I reckon budget wise we'd be looking around 5-6,000 GBP could maybe stretch a touch with my arguments for!

Return to posts index

Bill Bruner
Re: New Camera Advice..?
on Feb 26, 2013 at 12:21:53 pm

Sandy - it sounds like you're looking for the 10x zoom £2103 JVC GY-HM150E, or its big brother, the £4025 JVC GY-HM600E with its 23x Fujinon zoom. Both record directly to .mov for compatibility with FCP. The 150 has 3 smaller 1/4" CCD chips (no rolling shutter - important for fast action), while the 600 is JVC's first 3 x 1/3" chip CMOS camera. Both get very good reviews. The 600 has been especially well received.

Here is what the 150 can do:

Here is what the 600 can do: (please watch at 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Return to posts index

Sandy Stuart
Re: New Camera Advice..?
on Mar 6, 2013 at 12:16:55 pm

Many thanks Bill. Just having a look now, the pictures look stunning. Slight concern about their USB 2.0 workflow but I am sure there will be firewire.. Wanted to say cheers initially anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]