FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to get this freeze motion effect:

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Gallucci
How to get this freeze motion effect:
on Jan 23, 2013 at 7:38:05 am

I have been digging around, and I know there is the "multiple camera" way to get the matrix effect.
But how was this done?

It doesnt seem like that was the way it was accomplished.
I keep thinking that they cut out images and places them? The camera movement is fast enough where you cant tell if they are actually live action or not. There doesnt seem to be an indicator of being 3d.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How to get this freeze motion effect:
on Jan 23, 2013 at 3:42:50 pm

That was done with the actors freezing in place and the camera Steadicamming through the scene. At least I'm 99% sure of that.

Some of it could have been with a motion-controlled camera, but the last scene was definitely Steadicam... the floating horizon at the end gives it away as a Steadicam shot.

The actors in the middle part do an excellent job of freezing in place, assuming that's what they did... so much so that I almost would think that was done a different way, except in the end scene that is very definitely just actors frozen (some of them do a better job of it than others)... so I would doubt they would use more than one different "freezing technique."

Floating items like the olive and champagne splash are 3D CGI elements added in post.

What's more impressive to me is the directing and editing job... because there are at least four different individually-shot scenes there that have been stitched together pretty darn seamlessly.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Gallucci
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:35:06 am

Yea I was pondering that about them using two different techniques. You can definitely see the people moving around at the end of the shot.
Thanks for the info.

And yea, the stitching is amazing.
I am a small time director. Like super small. I either direct and shoot myself for the company or I only have a camera man and assistant.
Can you tell me how that would be challenging for directing? I'm assuming each scene just had a perpetual camera move forward and then they used masking when (for example) the curtains opened.
I have yet to do anything creative. All of our stuff is bios or crappy commercials for mundane things.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 24, 2013 at 3:48:43 am

[Andrew Gallucci] "Can you tell me how that would be challenging for directing?"

Well, pretty challenging. But not impossible.

As far as a directing jobs goes, when you analyze it it actually seems pretty straightforward. It's just planned and planned within an inch of its life. Soooo much of the work in that took place long before the shoot days, getting every tiny detail right. LOTS of work in casting, production design, and art direction. I'd say all that was the really challenging stuff.

Great creative, and plenty of money to pay for it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:28:48 pm

Watch this:

Then Watch this:

Return to posts index

weseg lebeg
on Jan 27, 2013 at 1:10:01 pm