FORUMS: list search recent posts

Digital Imaging Technician

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Mckendree
Digital Imaging Technician
on Jan 19, 2013 at 4:49:00 pm

I am looking to get back into production work and one of the things that my mentor have mentioned that I should look into is to work as a DIT. First of all, how would a person become a DIT? What workshops I should look at that can help me out? Also what equipment/ software should I look into getting?

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: Digital Imaging Technician
on Jan 29, 2013 at 12:50:39 am

Currently, the DIT is still a very informal position. For all intent and purpose it replaces the film loading aspect of the second AC, but becomes this amalgam of a camera assistant, colorist, and assistant editor.

I primarily work in all positions of the camera department, but specialize in DIT with RED camera systems. Job duties may include profiling and matching camera color, calibrating monitors on set, backing up footage, processing dailies, initial sync of sound, troubleshooting technical camera issues, and so on.

A DIT bridges the gap between principal photography and editorial.

A DIT on photoshoots may do all of the above plus light retouching or host client reviews.

Smaller shoots may have a DUT, or digital utility tech, whose almost singular purpose is to back up footage and, possibly, take on some asst. editor functions like add metadata or sync sound.

I should say that the IATSE Local 600 has a more narrow definition of a DIT, the position being a part of the camera crew usually relegated to the backup/manipulation/management of visual footage as well as some engineering tasks.

No one is really teaching it and I've found that most people slip into it already coming from the camera or editorial department.

http://icolorist.com/library/a-dit-tells-all/ is a nice peek into the work of a high end DIT.

--------------------
Angelo Lorenzo

Need to encode ProRes on your Windows PC?
Introducing ProRes Helper, an awesome little app that makes it possible
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]