FORUMS: list search recent posts

virtual set

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Cole
virtual set
on Jan 4, 2013 at 12:59:20 pm

Next week I will be shooting a corporate video with the "look" of a typical late-night talk show.

We'll be using a nice big green screen cyc, shooting on XDCAM for later compositing in After Effects. Although I've shot plenty of green screen, this has a special challenge: The client wants the host (sitting behind his desk) and the "guest" (sitting in a chair) to be directly on the green screen, so that the virtual set extends under their feet. I suggested that we put them on a platform, or a piece of carpet.

We probably will not see many shots framed that wide, but I'm still concerned. I've always lit green screens perfectly even, and don't see a way to do that with a big chair, a desk, and two people sitting. I know that green screens can "take" a shadow as long as it matches the background, but this seems to be asking for trouble.

Thoughts?

Bob C

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: virtual set
on Jan 4, 2013 at 2:21:22 pm

Well, you may have to do roto work on just the wide shots where the under-chair area is visible and under-lit. I don't know why people are always so scared of roto; maybe its just the tedium of it. Time=$.

Or you might apply extra iterations of the keyer to just that limited area. Or you compromise your lighting to get more soft diffused light into the under-seat area.

If you sat the talent on a couch or love seat instead of a chair, that would be easier than a stool type chair. More conventional for a talk show, as well, if the host is behind a desk.

Don't forget to put somme tracking points on the walls and floor.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:03:16 pm

[Mark Suszko] "tracking points "

We're planning on lock shots - not enough time and money to do tracking.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:28:12 pm

I wouldn't sweat it too much, Bob... head-to-toe-including-floor greenscreen shots usually work pretty well... IF you do a good job on the lighting, and IF you are using a good keyer.

As for lighting, you might need a little special or kicker light on the feet area, but it usually doesn't have to be too much.

As for keying, something like Ultimatte or Keylight should do a good job. I've been really impresssed with Keylight in After Effects lately... it can do some pretty flawless keys.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 4, 2013 at 3:33:11 pm

I can understand that. My thought was that they can perhaps help get the virtual set wall and floor angles "right", even for a locked-off shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]