FORUMS: list search recent posts

DSLR Image Quality

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Suto
DSLR Image Quality
on Dec 13, 2012 at 1:02:20 am

I am trying to figure out why my image quality is not as good as I think it could be.

I am shooting on a 7D with an EF 50mm 1.8. The image above is a still from the video. I compressed the video for upload to Vimeo. I am trying to figure out why I get that digital pattern in the image, for example in the hills to the right of the rock in the image.

I shot the video at ISO 160, 30fps, shutter speed 1/60. I edited in Final Cut and then used Popcorn Island to take it into After Effects and made very slight adjustments to the Curves. I rendered it as a Photo JPEG Quality 95 and then put it back into FCP and rendered it. I did one Quicktime Export and one Quicktime Conversion for Vimeo. The conversion version was worse, but neither was great.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Return to posts index

naushad khan
Re: DSLR Image Quality
on Dec 14, 2012 at 6:28:51 am

use animation or uncompressed compression...

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: DSLR Image Quality
on Dec 16, 2012 at 2:42:40 am

[naushad khan] "use animation or uncompressed compression..."

Whilst Animation is a high quality uncompressed codec its not the best to use with 7D material in FCP. Although "uncompressed compression" is an interesting idea :-) Apart from creating huge files unless you have very quick media drives you are going to struggle to play them back.
The 7D produces 4:2:0 H264 files and ProRes is the favoured codec. I would go for ProRes 422 or possibly HQ if you are going to grade in Colour or Resolve. Otherwise stick with 422.
There is no need to use 4444 as this is total overkill for DSLR footage and again just creates large files for no quality gain.

Here is Shane's guide to DSLR workflow - its tried and tested and the correct way to go. http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]