FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting in the snow

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geoff McKay
shooting in the snow
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:03:53 am

Hello All,
I was just out today shooting a short adventure spot, and we came across a really neat impression in the snow that I wanted to have the talent closely inspect for the camera. Basically, a small grouse or pheasant had climbed out of a hole, and flew away. It left a spectacularly well defined impression in the snow, including wings, body and beak.
To make a long story short, my final product was not what I had hoped. I had trouble focusing on the impression which appeared all white through the viewfinder. The auto focus didn't do any better. Any tips?

Return to posts index

john sharaf
Re: shooting in the snow
on Dec 3, 2012 at 6:10:30 am

Once you have confirmed the focus marks on your lens by measuring with a tape, you can "tape" any subject for accurate focus. Consult charts such as are in the ASC manual to find depth of field distance with near and far extremes.

Creating a "drop shaddow" with lighting might help define a the "impression" you describe in the snow, or alternately blocking the sun or skylight, in effect a "negative key" might make the impression more three dimensional and easier to see in the two dimensions of a motion picture.

JS

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: shooting in the snow
on Dec 4, 2012 at 8:25:26 pm

I agree, sounds like you didn't have enough contrast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]