FORUMS: list search recent posts

The Hobbit and high frame rates...

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
The Hobbit and high frame rates...
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:51:38 pm

Just an observation....

I find it interesting that with all the self-generated hoopla regarding Jackson's shooting of The Hobbit with a high frame rate for hyper-realism... that ALL of the trailers that I have seen have obviously been downconverted to 24p. Hmmm.

And it can't be just for technical reasons... on TV it would have been easy enough to do a conversion to 60i, which is what all broadcasters use anyway and would much more appear like the original 48fps production.

Maybe the Warner/NewLine/MGM marketing guys were actually listening to the recent preview audiences who said it looked "like video," "like watching 'Live from the Met'" and... worst of all... "Like a soap opera." Those were just the quotes I remember, but they were pretty representative of the general mood.

Of course, I'm a 24fps fan... but I'm interested in seeing what the look is really like.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Emre Tufekcioglu
Re: The Hobbit and high frame rates...
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:24:12 pm

"Video is what the eye sees(60i), Film is what the mind sees(24P)" has been my thought process. While I will try to see the HOBBIT HFR, I am preparing to be severly disspointed. Any movie I have ever watched on 60-120hz TV has looked horrible.

Who knows maybe I will be proven wrong and will fall in love with it???

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: The Hobbit and high frame rates...
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:57:45 pm

[Emre Tufekcioglu] " Any movie I have ever watched on 60-120hz TV has looked horrible."

Yeah, I made the mistake of sitting in on part of a Star Wars marathon with the niece and nephew on the in-law's 120hz TV. It looked like the worlds most expensive home movie. VERY "video-y."

60i looks "live"... whereas 24fps looks like a "memory." I think that's the difference for me. 24fps is much more forgiving of actors' performances, too. The exact same performance that looks great on real film (or 24p video) can look pretty cheesy and artificial when seen at 60i. That's not true for all actors... but not everyone has Anthony Hopkins' ability.

I'm preparing to be disappointed by HFR, too. Proponents will say that once upon a time people said that about sound, and color too... but I just don't think that's the case here. It's not a technical limitation like sound and color once were... the 24fps look is an aesthetic style that I don't think will go away. More is not always better.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]