FORUMS: list search recent posts

C 300 video conversion resolution problems. 1908 X 1080

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Baker
C 300 video conversion resolution problems. 1908 X 1080
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:17:26 pm

I've recently shot a project using C 300's and am currently in the process of converting the footage to ProRes using Pav Tube. I've set up Pav Tube's settings to export 24.00 1920 X 1080 and am dumbfounded to find that the clips are 1908 X 1080 when dropped in FCP. I'm familiar shooting NTSC, not 24.00, is this the root of my problems? I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but this problem is causing a big head ache. Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge from the Creative Cow video gods.

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
Re: C 300 video conversion resolution problems. 1908 X 1080
on Nov 15, 2012 at 7:29:25 pm

So try a log & transfer in Final Cut? Compare results. If that works then dump Pav Tube (probably not the best choice in the first place; a lot of copy-cat programs that do this sort of thing. Xilisoft comes to mind and they're just front ends for kind of dubious conversion utilities).

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Matt Baker
on Nov 16, 2012 at 7:49:50 am

I sincerely thank you for the advice. I'm not quite sure why I was ever using Pave Tube. You wouldn't have any suggestions on converting 23.98 footage to 24.00. I'm familiar with NTSC and began this project shooting 23.98 but the delivery specifications have changed. Fortunately it's only a few gigs of video, unfortunately they're interviews containing audio. Is there any clean and easy fixes or am I in for a rude awakening?

You live and you learn...

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Matt

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:33:47 pm

In Final Cut, conform the video to 24fps. This will make it faster but only very slightly. If you have second system audio (from an external recorder) then you have to speed it up, I believe 0.1001% for you to keep lip sync.

This is a higher quality conversion overall because you aren't resampling/mixing frames, just speeding up audio frequency which is a pretty clean math function.

This is also a very common conversion for telecine to PAL which is a faster 25fps. Once you have to start converting to 29.97 and so on, then there is other tech available to blend video.

Angelo Lorenzo

Love my answer? Do me a huge favor and check out my Kickstarter project The Librarian, starring Jennie Garth of Beverly Hills 90210.

Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]