FORUMS: list search recent posts

What the heck is this camera???

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Terry
What the heck is this camera???
on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:41:35 pm

Ok, this is a still camera question, not motion.... but I'm betting some of you guys will know this anyway...

I puzzled about this before a few years ago, but not enough to do more than a bit of Googling to no avail... but now it's really bugging me.

Every now and then on Craig Ferguson's "The Late Late Show" on CBS you'll see a glimpse of whom I assume is the show's official stills photographer. She wags around this GIGANTIC camera that looks like the lunchbox you had in 6th grade painted black with a big lens glued right to the side. Maybe I've been living in a cave, but I've never seen anything like it.

On last night's show she came down onto the stage to snap pics of Craig and Tom Hanks, where she had two of them.... she shot with one and had what appeared to be an identical one slung across her shoulder...

So what the heck IS this thing? As I show in the picture, you can read "Digital" on one of the camera straps but little else... and the cameras literally look like black plastic boxes almost completely devoid of any features, buttons, or controls... save for the bigass lens sticking out of it.

Or... could it be some kinda of sound barney for a more pedestrian DSLR so she can snap away during the show?

Anyone know??

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: What the heck is this camera???
on Oct 30, 2012 at 9:49:00 pm

Ummmm.... yep... I think it's just a sound blimp for the DSLR. That only occured to me right as I was finishing writing my post, and sho' nuff....

I left my original post up, I guess, to show my ignorance.

In my defense, I found it on a web page called "Five things for your DSLR that you didn't know existed."

Go figure.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: What the heck is this camera???
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:49:26 pm

Smirking yet again at all the extra things you have to add to DSLRs to make them work the same as dedicated video cameras. How do you add the speed rails, pistol grips, monitor brackets, viewfinder extensions, focus whips, and matte boxes and French Flag over the blimp? :-P

(Just poking a little good-natured fun here, but still, it does make you think)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]