FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMCC for wildlife or other camera???

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Humberto Ramos
BMCC for wildlife or other camera???
on Oct 13, 2012 at 1:16:02 pm

I dont know if this is the right forum, if not please tell me in what forum should I post this post...

Hi, I'm a wildlife photographer for about 3 years, I when to wildlife photography because I love to be in the wild capturing beautiful animal behaviors. But I feel that something was missing in my live, I love photography, but to capture truly animals behavior we need more than a picture, so I decided to follow the dream I had in my childhood, that was to become a wildlife cameraman, and start capturing movies.
Initially I started using my photo gear, first a 7D, than a 5 D II and now I have a 1D IV camera, but was not happy with some quality aspects, decided to sell all my photo gear to buy a "good" broadcast quality camera to start doing some documentary work.
Ideally would prefer to keep my photo gear, but I don't have money to buy a "good" video camera without selling my photo gear.
I have a Gitzo 3530LS with a wimberley II head, intent to keep the Gitzo for filming and sell/trade the wimberly II and get a manfrotto/bogem 509HD (think it will good for me and its at a good price).
Will sell some other things like flashe's, and other photo gear, the 1D IV and a 600mm f/4 IS lens, so aspect to get 9000€ to 10000€...

I have several solution in my mind, but having no expierience in video doesn't help at all, I´m afraid of selling my good photo equipment for buying video equipment that its not good for wildlife documentary, so will list several options below to know your expert opinions about video work and documentary filming about my "wish list".

1- Sell everything and buy a BMCC, SSD disks, maybe an EVF, with some lens like a sigma 120-300mm OS and teleconverter, at 300mm with the 2.3x crops sensor of the BMCC will become a 690mm f/8 lens, with 1.4x will become a 966mm f/4 lens and with a 2x will become a 1380mm f/5.6 lens. Will also buy some wide angle lens like tokina 11-16mm, or sigma 8-16mm, a macro lens50mm and/or 100mm, and will still have money for a motorized dolly and maybe a small crane, ND filters....

2- Sell everithing and buy a Sony FS700, no broadcast quality for now (maybe in the future with 4K firmware), but with 240fps, super slow motion images i'v seen are amazing. With this solution, will only capable of buying the camera and some small lens (few)...

3- sell everything and buy some handled cameras with good zoom range, like Pana HPX250, sony PMW150, or the new JVC GY-HM600, all them have 10bit 422 with 50mbs, except the HPX that have 100mbs. With one of this cameras will get a nice zoom 22 or 23X, and portability, but don't know about the image quality at the end of zoom range, would also be able to buy some accessories like motorized slides, crane, etc...

The solution 1 will give me far reach but will have to buy ND filter and sometimes is difficult to get the correct exposure in actions, the solutions 2 and 3 have ND filter solution in camera.

If you don't mind please share with me some of your experience cause I have none, If you know a different or better solution for my 9000€ to 10000€ budget please let me know.

Thanks and regards,

Humberto Ramos

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
Re: BMCC for wildlife or other camera???
on Oct 13, 2012 at 3:07:06 pm

I have no experience in wildlife. I've shot a few lions on a safari once but I don't think that counts.

I suggest you find a refurbished or like-new C300. It shoots directly to broadcast quality and will take your existing lenses. It also has excellent low light ability. You will spend more time shooting and less time working on post.

If you absolutely cannot afford it, then take a look at the new Panasonic GH3 or the GH2.

Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 13, 2012 at 4:18:53 pm

[Sareesh Sudhakaran] "I suggest you find a refurbished or like-new C300"

Well the C300 is my new favorite camera... I love it, and its low-light capability is absolutely mind-boggling. I think finding a refurb or used one might be tough though, since it's pretty much a brand-new camera. On the upside though, Canon does have a great lease deal on the C300 (24 months, $1 buyout) that has been extended though the end of the year, and right now has a $1000 rebate on it as well. At $15,000 for the body only its still a bit out of that budget though.

If you are willing to consider shooting on tape, the Canon XLH1 is my second-favorite camera ever... and although this was a $10,000 camera when new, you can now find used ones in good condition for $2K or less. I was actually saddened to learn this when recently contemplating whether to sell my H1 after getting the C300.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Oct 13, 2012 at 5:38:12 pm

Thanks Sareesh and Todd,

In fact the C300 is out of my budget, but I have considered the GH3 as backup for option 1 and 3, will even be capable of letting the camera In some spots and shoot video throw an iPhone, but will need a broadcast camera for every day use.

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Oct 15, 2012 at 5:22:24 pm

Thanks Sareesh and Todd,

In fact the C300 is out of my budget, but I have considered the GH3 as backup for option 1 and 3, will even be capable of letting the camera In some spots and shoot video throw an iPhone, but will need a broadcast camera for everyday use.

No more suggestions?

Thanks and regards

Return to posts index

Sareesh Sudhakaran
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:29:29 am

FS100 with an external recorder, VG900 with an external recorder, BMCC with an external recorder, etc. I like the FS100 because it can shoot 60p.

All these small form factor cameras need to be rigged, which I'm sure is no fun when you're not in a controlled environment.

CCD broadcast cameras are out of your budget. 1/3" CCD cameras don't qualify.

http://www.wolfcrow.com - Workflow information and support for filmmakers, photographers, audiographers and videographers.

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:51:17 am

Thanks Sareesh,

I didn´t choose the FS100 cause it doesn't habe build in ND filter, I prefer to have in the camera. Like I saide, only have experience in photography, but inside a hide we can´t get easiy to the front of the lens, and is difficult to put a ND in a big lens.

About the BMCC, I don´t think she will need an external recorder, I think will be able of 422 with broadcast quality.

The HPX250 with can output 422 100mbs, it was already approved by BBC for broadcast, and think the JVC and the sony will be next...

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:37:55 am

How soon do you need the new camera?

Unfortunately, if you didn't place a pre-order for a BMCC back in April (or perhaps May), the chance of your receiving a BMCC anytime soon are slim to none.

Manufacturing of the camera barely started & then immediately stopped due to a serious sensor assembly defect issue. Reportedly, fewer than 100 cameras were built. Volume shipments of the camera are already 2.5 months delayed from the announced Aug.1 start date, and manufacturing has yet to restart.

Read all about it on Blackmagic Design's forum:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288&sid=0098eeafa5d1...
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1751&sid=0098eeafa5d1...

Having said all that, I'm a big fan of the camera, and eagerly await the BMCC I pre-ordered in mid-April. But if you need a camera right way, or even by early 2013, the BMCC might not be an option for you, regrets.

As for your particular application, wildlife videography, the BMCC does offer some compelling features. And of course it will require some compelling compromises, too. :-)

There is no 1 perfect camera for all productions.

As you mention, the BMCC's sensor size means that telephoto (including with a relatively fast aperture) is relatively easy to achieve.

At the wide end, there are rectilinear 11mm, 10mm and 8mm lenses available, at a wide variety of prices and qualities.

I'm not aware of any servo-zoom lenses that can be used on either the BMCC-EF or BMCC-MFT models. A semi-kludgy alternative is to mount a follow-focus on the zoom ring of a lens, with best results when using a parfocal, constant-aperture lens.

In addition to the BMCC's fantastic 2.5K 12-bit RAW uncompressed CinemaDNG recording mode (at 5 megaBYTES/frame), the BMCC also features very high-quality 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 compressed ProRes & DNxHD recording (at 220 megaBITS/sec.)

The following video by Marco Solorio shows examples of a variety of lenses used on the BMCC (& a 5DM3, too). To see the full quality, download the 1GB version of this video from the Vimeo page!:

A ~500 GB SSD drive can hold about 1 hour of the BMCC's CinemaDNG footage, or about 5 hours of its ProRes/DNxHD footage. I suspect that both the BMCC's uncompressed and compressed recording modes can be valuable for wildlife shooting.

A big advantage of BMCC video is its color quality (@ 12-bit & 10-bit recording modes), and minimal motion-induced compression artifacts (@ high data rates of it uncompressed & compressed recording modes).

The BMCC's latest v.1.1 firmware adds support for lens IS (image stabilization) and other enhancements, as well as improvements of existing features. BMD has indicated they intend to continue adding to the BMCC's capabilities through firmware in the months ahead, but we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, BMD has to restart manufacturing cameras again. The jury is still out on exactly when that will be, and how long it'll take them to work through a considerable backlog of orders, reportedly many tens of thousands of units ...

Cheers.

---

http://www.peterdv.com
Blog: http://herefortheweather.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:38:35 am

How soon do you need the new camera?

Unfortunately, if you didn't place a pre-order for a BMCC back in April (or perhaps May), the chance of your receiving a BMCC anytime soon are slim to none.

Manufacturing of the camera barely started & then immediately stopped due to a serious sensor assembly defect issue. Reportedly, fewer than 100 cameras were built. Volume shipments of the camera are already 2.5 months delayed from the announced Aug.1 start date, and manufacturing has yet to restart.

Read all about it on Blackmagic Design's forum:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1288&sid=0098eeafa5d1...
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1751&sid=0098eeafa5d1...

Having said all that, I'm a big fan of the camera, and eagerly await the BMCC I pre-ordered in mid-April. But if you need a camera right way, or even by early 2013, the BMCC might not be an option for you, regrets.

As for your particular application, wildlife videography, the BMCC does offer some compelling features. And of course it will require some compelling compromises, too. :-)

There is no 1 perfect camera for all productions.

As you mention, the BMCC's sensor size means that telephoto (including with a relatively fast aperture) is relatively easy to achieve.

At the wide end, there are rectilinear 11mm, 10mm and 8mm lenses available, at a wide variety of prices and qualities.

I'm not aware of any servo-zoom lenses that can be used on either the BMCC-EF or BMCC-MFT models. A semi-kludgy alternative is to mount a follow-focus on the zoom ring of a lens, with best results when using a parfocal, constant-aperture lens.

In addition to the BMCC's fantastic 2.5K 12-bit RAW uncompressed CinemaDNG recording mode (at 5 megaBYTES/frame), the BMCC also features very high-quality 1080p 10-bit 4:2:2 compressed ProRes & DNxHD recording (at 220 megaBITS/sec.)

The following video by Marco Solorio shows examples of a variety of lenses used on the BMCC (& a 5DM3, too). To see the full quality, download the 1GB version of this video from the Vimeo page!:

A ~500 GB SSD drive can hold about 1 hour of the BMCC's CinemaDNG footage, or about 5 hours of its ProRes/DNxHD footage. I suspect that both the BMCC's uncompressed and compressed recording modes can be valuable for wildlife shooting.

A big advantage of BMCC video is its color quality (@ 12-bit & 10-bit recording modes), and minimal motion-induced compression artifacts (@ high data rates of it uncompressed & compressed recording modes).

The BMCC's latest v.1.1 firmware adds support for lens IS (image stabilization) and other enhancements, as well as improvements of existing features. BMD has indicated they intend to continue adding to the BMCC's capabilities through firmware in the months ahead, but we'll see what happens.

Meanwhile, BMD has to restart manufacturing cameras again. The jury is still out on exactly when that will be, and how long it'll take them to work through a considerable backlog of orders, reportedly many tens of thousands of units ...

Cheers.

---

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:12:55 am

Hi Peter,

I´m selling all my photo gerar to buy the video equipemnt, so it could take a wille...So don´t mind to receave it only in February if the camera meets my needs.

I would have to limitations with BMCC, first, the LCD, in the hide would be fine, outside would need an EVF, the other is that with a 120-300mm, would need a 105mm vari ND filter on the fronts of the lens, and would have to make a hole in the front of the sun cap to rotate it when needed without the need to remove the front...

But the price compared with the fs700 is considerable, with the savings, would be able to buy rig, motorized doli, crane, wide lens and a macro one.

With the FS700 would win 240fps that is wonderfull, my first project will be about an aquatic lizard in my region, so would be wundefull to capture him entering in the water in 240fps...

Dont know what to do, cause with fs700 the budget will go away and will not have money for other lens other acessories...

Maybe I can buy the BMCC now and wait to will some cash in some projects and after buy the fs700 as backup...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:15:54 pm

[Humberto Ramos] "... So don´t mind to receave it only in February if the camera meets my needs. ..."

If you haven't already pre-ordered a BMCC, some reasonable estimates are that there's less than a 50-50 chance of receiving one by Feb. 2013. Given BMD's manufacturing delays and the reportedly huge worldwide pre-order list, some estimates are that you could be waiting significantly longer than that. Ultimately it's unpredictable & unknowable, since BMD hasn't restarted shipping yet, and we don't know at what rate they'll manufacture BMCCs over the subsequent weeks & months once they do restart shipping.

[Humberto Ramos] "... Maybe I can buy the BMCC now and wait to will some cash in some projects and after buy the fs700 as backup ..."

You mean pre-order "now", right? There are no BMCCs for sale currently.

---

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:41:00 am

Thanks Peter,

Yes, I mean pre order now and after a fs700...

I also have another solution, that is buy a PMW-EX3 with a sigma 120-300mm and nanoflash, It´s a solutions that many wildlife filmographer have, so I think the the quality must be good. No slow motion, no 13 stops dinamique range, but best reach for shy species, 1/2", at 120mm the sigma becomes a 600mm f/2.8, at 300mm a 1500mm f/3.8, if I put a 1.4x TC even more mm...I just dont know the quality with this combo...

Does anyone ever tried a PMW-EX3 with telephoto lens? Are the images sharp and with good quality???

Thanks again

Return to posts index

Jim kelly
on Nov 3, 2012 at 1:27:07 pm

I would rather recommend using BMCC instead

[URL=http://www.iphoneinformer.com/jailbreak/]jailbreak iphone[/url]

Return to posts index

Humberto Ramos
on Nov 3, 2012 at 11:10:12 pm

Hi Jim,

Also have the chance to buy a RED ONE too, probably the best option for me right now...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]