FORUMS: list search recent posts

f3 camera

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt patterson
f3 camera
on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:45:26 pm

I’m going to be shooting a short drama and the camera in my budget range is the F3 camera. Upon reading F3’s technical Specification it says that the images are handled as 23.98P and recorded as 59.94i signals through means of 2-3 pull-down.
Ive been trying to research this ‘pull down’ method and am not having much luck understanding it . Would really appreciate it if some one explained it to me
Thanks you!

Matt.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: f3 camera
on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:47:28 pm

Well, when you turn a progressive picture into an interlaced one you split it into two fields, so 4 frames would be 8 fields, so what it's doing is (very basically speaking) replicating every fourth field so that every other frame becomes a frame and a half in duration, so to speak. So by splitting a series of 2 - 3 -2- 3 fields into pairs, you get five frames out of the four you started with.

If you do that in origination you ought to remove the pulldown for editing as it can cause problems later.

OTOH, as it only does the pulldown in SP mode, which is 25Mbps, so why would you ever use that? HQ is 35Mbps, which is usually acceptable for broadcast, if not exactly in broadcast spec (which is 50Mbps minimum over here).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]