FORUMS: list search recent posts

Infared camera filter to pick up infared LED?

COW Forums : Cinematography

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert King
Infared camera filter to pick up infared LED?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:16:27 pm

I'm getting a Canon T3i as part of my new equipment, but I was just thinking. When I'm not doing normal filming I like to do local paranormal investigating. My question is the canon t3i does not have night vision. So if I have handheld In fared Lights, would a infrared filter for the canon pick up that light like night vision?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Infared camera filter to pick up infared LED?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 7:28:57 pm

That'd bear testing, but the infrared lights might indeed work.

Note that most camera sensors are already sensitive to infrared, to one degree or another (that's why the IR transmitter on a device such as a television remote control is visibly illuminated when photographed with a camera, although it doesn't appear to be visible to the naked eye).

Now, the sensor in your T3i is probably not as IR sensitive as those which are designed to be, but no doubt they are at least to some degree.

You won't need a filter, though. While filters are readily available that block IR from a sensor ("hot mirror" filters)... I've never heard of one that would make a sensor more sensitive to IR...and frankly I can't see how that would be technically or optically possible.

Certainly worth a try with the IR light. I doubt it will be a good as true "nightvision," but it would be interesting to see just how much the IR does read.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:49:30 pm

To elaborate on Todd's post:

He is correct about IR sensitivity. All sensors are sensitive to it but to a small degree, since mostly all modern sensors are coated with a hot mirror filter: a filter that blocks IR light.

There are some Sigma DSLRs that are prized because they have a removable IR filter. Third-party companies can also modify some existing dslrs for IR photography.

You can, of course, shoot IR photography currently but exposure times will be insane.

Hoya and other companies make screw-on IR filters that block most normal light. These were common even back to shooting IR film... something like a Hoya RM-72.

http://irbuzz.blogspot.com/2007/03/ir-for-beginners-my-dslr-is-not-modded.h... is a decent enough pro/con primer if not a little bit of an old article.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Sep 4, 2012 at 4:38:08 pm

As an addendum, totally got lost in the fact you'll be shooting video at night. You shouldn't need a IR filter like I mentioned although you may not get the exposure you want in video mode because the camera will lock the minimum shutter speed to your framerate if I'm not mistaken. Unless you have very powerful IR lights (kind of defeats the purpose) then DSLRs may not be the right tool for the job.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire Digital Production Services - Los Angeles
RED transcoding, on-set DIT, and RED Epic rental services
Fallen Empire - The Blog
A blog dedicated to filmmaking, the RED workflow, and DIT tips and tricks

Return to posts index

Robert King
on Sep 4, 2012 at 9:57:11 pm

Well like I said I wouldn't need a type of "night vision" for ANYTHING else, that I do, except that and it's not really that important, I just thought since I was getting this maybe it might work, I'm not trying to get professional on the paranormal investigation part. I just thought maybe there was a way to kind of mod it so it could work like night vision for that use, but i can just buy a cheap camcorder with night vision for that stuff I suppose...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]